Have An Issue Help Is Appreciated

Decorating By swritik Updated 9 Jan 2010 , 4:11am by Teekakes

swritik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swritik Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:04am
post #1 of 11

ok every time i make a cake and i cover it in buttercream and then cover with fondant, the cake is not smooth. I mean it looks lumpy and i dont have the edges nice and even.

http://weblogs.variety.com/photos/new_york_wedding_cakes/cake1.jpg

like when looking at this cake the cake looks smooth and the top looks so clean and defined.

How do i do that?

Rita

10 replies
Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:20am
post #2 of 11

Hi Rita icon_smile.gif You may be putting to much bc under your fondant. To much will cause the fondant to be more difficult to smooth out because the buttercream moves around as you try to smooth the fondant. Try using a thin coating of bc.
Covering your cake in ganache just like you do the bc is a very good way to get nice smooth fondant too. Frost your cake in whipped ganache just as you would bc, let the ganache harden up and then cover with fondant. Using ganache allows you to have a nice thick layer of it too. Once it has set up it will not move around when you put your fondant on.
Hope this helps a bit. icon_smile.gif

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:45am
post #3 of 11

hello Rita I am not an expert but for what I have read you have to let the buttercream to frost..for that you have to put your cake at least 10 min in the fridge so the buttercream crusts....also you can use this methos that everyone loves
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=5844

after you get the buttercream smooth you can apply your fondant because if is not smooth enough you wil be able to see every single mistake that the buttercream has...also is important to have a good buttercream recipe....one that crusts

I hope this helps...

good luck!!!

icon_smile.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:56am
post #4 of 11

Putting fondant on a cake is a lot like wearing spandex biking shorts, if it's aintsmooth underneath it ain't gonna be smooth on top.
So make sure your butter cream is every bit as smooth as if you werent going to be covering in fondant.
I use the melvira method and chill my cakes over night before covering in fondant.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:24am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Putting fondant on a cake is a lot like wearing spandex biking shorts, if it's aintsmooth underneath it ain't gonna be smooth on top.

So THAT'S why everyone laughs and points at me!!! icon_lol.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:44am
post #6 of 11

Buttercream icing underneath must be perfectly smooth.
It also helps to refrigerate the cake first, so ther buttercream is firm, that way it won't smoosh around under the fondant as you are smoothing it on.

swritik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swritik Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 12:02am
post #7 of 11

thank you all for your reply. Ok another question about this issue, first i dont think i put a lot of BC, so maybe i am thinking it is my cake. I do use cake pans that i bought , but the cake it does not come out nice when out from the pan. Meaning it is not straight edges and the circumference on the cake also not nice and clean. What am i doing wrong.

Rita

Mom23Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23Angels Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 12:25am
post #8 of 11

You might need to trim up the sides of your cake tiers after you fill and stack them. Whatever is under your fondant will show up as lumps and bumps in your fondant....so your cake and BC need to be smooth and straight.

If you want to see a really detailed "how to" on this, you should get SugarShack's DVD on buttercream (and it is also an "extra" on her fondant DVD).

I'm still working on getting mine perfect, but with practice it's getting better.

Good luck!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 12:29am
post #9 of 11

What brand of pans are you using? What are you using to treat the pans? I have started using a combo of the make your own cake release, with wax paper, or parchment, in the bottom. I have also used Pam, then flour, with the paper. I make start using Baker's Joy when I run out of cake release.
How long do you let your cakes sit in the pan before turning out?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 12:49am
post #10 of 11

Make sure the cakes are totally cooled, preferably overnight before you try to cover them.

Before you put the buttercream on, trim the cake all the way around so that the sides are flat and there aren't any bulging areas where the layers come together. Trim the top off flat, too. Ice the cake thinly then put it in the fridge to harden up before you cover it with the fondant. I don't cover them when they're cold, but if you have trouble that can help you get a good edge if you want that sharp edge on top.

Also keep in mind that the pictures you see in magazines are mostly cake dummies, so it's really easy to get a good edge on those!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 4:11am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom23Angels

You might need to trim up the sides of your cake tiers after you fill and stack them. Whatever is under your fondant will show up as lumps and bumps in your fondant....so your cake and BC need to be smooth and straight.

If you want to see a really detailed "how to" on this, you should get SugarShack's DVD on buttercream (and it is also an "extra" on her fondant DVD).

I'm still working on getting mine perfect, but with practice it's getting better.

Good luck!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Ditto!! Also, try to make sure you grease and flour your pan well all the way up to the top of the pan rim.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%