Home Based Food Processing Now Allowed In New Mexico

Decorating By homebasedbaking Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 11:37pm by Smashme

homebasedbaking Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:50am
post #1 of 10

A new rule requiring permits for homemade foods sellers went into effect on Jan. 1, 2010 in New Mexico.

The permits are mandated by the state Environment Department and will cost $100. This will allow the sale of homemade goods including baked goods, tortillas, jams and jellies, dry mixes and candies.

To obtain a permit, home-based food processors must pay the fee, attend food safety training and allow the New Mexico Environment Department to inspect their kitchens. This new permit process was introduced to monitor the safety of goods sold at farmers markets, roadside stands, fairs and fiestas.

Visit http://www.nmenv.state.nm.us/fod/Food_Program/HomeBasedProcessing.htm

9 replies
Smashme Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 10

thanks for sharing, are you in new mexico?

CakeMommyTX Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 10

I'm moving to New Mexico!!

CbyA Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 10

OMG!!!!!!!!!! this is amazing! thank you very much for posting this!! are you in NM?? icon_wink.gif

CbyA Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 10

smashme, what part in NM are you?

davespeg Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 10

How about the people who sell burritos out of the back of the trunk of their car. I use to live in El Paso, and there was a whole lot of that going on. It was one of those don't ask situations as far as being licensed.

GL79 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 10

Jaja davespeg I see them too. I live in NM also and 5 minutes from El Paso, Texas. One thing for sure is that you do need a license. But that's great that NM is allowing home based food processing.

Smashme Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 10

i'm in rio rancho

CbyA Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 10


Smashme Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:37pm
post #10 of 10

how funny i'm off of unser and king

Quote by @%username% on %date%