Scroll Work

Decorating By happy2bake Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 2:11am by jenmat

happy2bake Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 12

I was looking at a cake on this website and it has beautiful scroll work. Do you follow a pattern, freehand it, or how do you get that elegant effect? The cake I was looking at is done by Cake Obsessions from 2006. It is beautiful and I am making my niece's wedding cake in October. This would be gorgeous. Can anyone help, please?

11 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 12

I'm not sure what cake your talking about, but a lot of it is done freehand, maybe with a picture for inspiration or to look at as a guide.

pattycakesnj Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:19am
post #3 of 12

I use regular stencils from the craft store and use RI over fondant covered cakes

ChristaPaloma Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:34am
post #4 of 12

You are reminding me to look at ThanhThanh photos again... she does amazing scrollwork and it is all freehand... a very inspiring album of photos if you want more inspiration.... wish I could freehand like that.

PinkLisa Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:35am
post #5 of 12

There are some scroll impression mats you can buy that will give you a guide. Or you could print a scroll pattern out on paper and pin prick the pattern onto the cake to serve as your guide. Once you get the hang of things then you can begin freehanding the scrolls.

indydebi Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:37am
post #6 of 12
HamSquad Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:53am
post #8 of 12

I love this mat, but how would you use it for entire cake that is round and covered in fondant? Is the mat pretty flexible?

PinkLisa Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:55am
post #9 of 12
Originally Posted by HamSquad

I love this mat, but how would you use it for entire cake that is round and covered in fondant? Is the mat pretty flexible?

I really don't know since like I said I haven't used it yet. It seems flexible enough to wrap gently around a tier. I wouldn't want a deep impression anyway.

HamSquad Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:08am
post #10 of 12

Thanks PinkLisa, the info you've given me is just enough to make me want to purchase it. I have a diamond pattern mat. I think I bought the wrong one, it is too stiff.

PinkLisa Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:45am
post #11 of 12

I would start with one side of the mat and gently rock it to the other side to make a very light impression. The good thing about royal icing is that you can just scrap it off with a pin if you make a mistake. I used a large snowflake cookie cutter to impress it's pattern on fondant to do brush embroidery. I even rocked it gently over the top edge of the tier (you can see the snowflake cake in my photos). You can get an acceptable impression for piping even if the mat is stiff. Nothing is stiffer than a metal cookie cutter.

jenmat Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:11am
post #12 of 12

You can also make your own impression mat. Just use piping gel and let it dry. That way it can be as big or stiff as you need it. I've also heard of people using hot glue, but I can't see how that would work very well.
That said, I usually freehand mine, with the exception of using the Wilton c-scroll press every once in a while. For me, its just finding a rhythm with the scrolls. Each scroll has its own rhythm when you pipe it, and once you get that, you can do it pretty quickly. This is coming from a music major though- everything has rhythm in my world!

Quote by @%username% on %date%