Dumb Question About Cross Cake On Top Of Sheet Cake

Decorating By prettysweet Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 2:31pm by AverageMom

prettysweet Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a christening cake for the baptism of my nephew's daughter on Sunday. I am planning to use a sheet cake with a cross. Do I put a board under the cross or place it directly atop the sheet ? I haven't done any decorating lately due to surgery and continuing pain so any suggestions for an easy but pretty cake would be appreciated.
thanks.

10 replies
jammjenks Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 11

You wouldn't need to support it, but depending on the design you may prefer a board underneath. Will it be all buttercream?

LoriMc Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 11

Personally, I think it would be easier as far as decorating, transfer and cutting of the cake to have it on it's own board.

indydebi Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 11

If you have a single layer sheet cake, with a single layer cross cake, it's the same as having a 2-layer cake. Except the top layer just happens to be a different shape.

I don't put cardboards between just a regular 2-layer cake, so as far as support-wise, no you don't need one.

Atomikjen Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 11

I've made two of these cakes. One for my daughter's christening and one for a friend's son. The first (my daughter) I didn't use a board. I found there was too much give to the cake when I was crumb coating and covering it with fondant. Yes, I stacked then covered, same with the second but I did put a board and thought it came out really well.

Not sure if this will work: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1252396.html

that was the second cake of its kind.

Brendabeeper Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 11

not a problem at all, no cardboard needed. after I had assembled
mine I was concerned to but it had no problems with sagging at all. I did a 2nd one and put in some dowels under the cross just to make sure since I was thinking maybe I had just got lucky. Thanks Indydebi for confirming it would be ok without them. Best wishes on your cake.

indydebi Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:39pm
post #7 of 11

Since it is a 2-layer cake, it will have some weight to it, so I WOULD recommend 2 or 3 cardboards as the base, depending on how big the sheet cake is. thumbs_up.gif

prettysweet Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:27am
post #8 of 11

It's going to be a 2 layer sheet and then the cross so it might be better for cutting to have it on its own board. I'm planning on using a wooden board covered with foil for the main base so it won't bend during transport. I appreciate all the hints because I can use all the help I can get. I did a lot of baking for the holidays but avoided anything that required any decorating other than holly leaves. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with the cake and decorated cross and heart cookies. I'm using NFSC and MMF with royal for accents on the cookies. Thanks again.

indydebi Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:28am
post #9 of 11

with a 2-layer sheet, I WOULD put a board under the cross PLUS about 3 boards wrapped together for the base.

poohsmomma Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 11

I've made a couple like that. I put a board under the cross just so it could be removed and cut separately.

AverageMom Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 11

There are NO dumb questions!

I have no idea about the support needed, but for cutting and serving purposes I would put a board under the cross. Either way I'm sure it will be lovely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%