Freezing Cake

Decorating By SweetSyren Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 10:31pm by Edee

SweetSyren Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 6

I made 2 cakes for a work babay shower this week. The cakes are made but not filled or decorated yet. I just got notice that the shower is canceled thumbsdown.gif . Can I freeze the cakes (wrapped tightly and put in ziplock bags)? How long will they stay "good" in the freezer?

5 replies
Deb_ Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 6

Sure just wrap them really well. Some people freeze for a month or more and say the cake is still fine, so you should be ok.

cheeseball Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 6

Some people on CC have posted that they've frozen cakes for more than 6 months with no problem. I've frozen cakes for months (not for customers, tho) and have been amazed at how great it tasted. These are scratch butter cakes, wrapped very well, and thawed in the wrapping - can't tell ya what happens with mixes.

Lalady Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 6

I work two jobs and bake too. I always bake weeks in advance and freeze my cakes. I've never had a problem and I used box mixes. Just make sure you wrap the cakes really good. I used Glad Wrap Press & Seal. I wrap the cakes twice in this, then wrap in freezer paper & close the freezer paper with duct tape.

mcdonald Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 6

freeze freeze freeze !!! I couldn't make it without doing this. Wrap it with saran and slide it in a ziplock back and you should be good for a while!!

Edee Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 6

I freeze mine. I wrap in saran wrap really well then in tin foil. THey will last a few months I think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%