I Won The Cake Safe!!!!!!

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 1:56pm by KHalstead

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 48

Not sure if you all remember that whole forum discussion about the cake safe and whether or not it really works? Well, I read it and was curious about it like everyone else....and went to their website and saw the " cake safe give away" button and entered MY cake disaster and I WON!!!!!
I told them the whole horrible story (in a few sentences) and attached the photos of before and after...and I won!!

I'm soooooooooooooooo excited, I NEVER win ANYTHING.........EVER!!!!

The only downside is they want to take a pic. of then giving me the cake safe icon_cry.gif but other than that........I'm SO excited!!!!!

For those of you that didn't see what a cake safe is..go here:
www.cakesafe.com

And those of you that didn't hear about my horrific disaster, you can check that out here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-591133-0.html

47 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 48

Awesome!!! Congrats!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 48

Mazel tov!

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 48

Congrats!! That thing looks awesome!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 48

congratulations.. this is wonderful news.. wonderful prize...

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 48

It's Karma - good things come to good people icon_smile.gif Congratulations!

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 48

That is wonderful. Congratualtions. Please let us know how it works, etc. Can't wait to hear.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 48

That's awesome congratulations! Enjoy it!

KHalstead Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 48

I still can't believe it........they asked me what size cakes I normally do so that they could figure out what size would suit me best.

I told them normally 3 or 4 tiers and occasionally 5 tiers...then they asked how big around the base cake is and I said generally 12' or 14" so they said they thought the small/tall box would be perfect for me. It has a 17" base and can accomodate up to 5 tiers of cake!!

I looked at their website again, that box is $400.00!!!! I could NEVER have afforded to purchase one of these things........not EVER. I mean if it wasn't for my husband's Christmas bonus at work (a $40 gift card to a grocery store) we wouldn't even have groceries this week!

I've been using sandwich bags to pipe with because I just haven't been able to spare the $20 to get a box of bags (and couldn't bring myself to pay $4 for 6 bags at wal-mart)

So this is sooooooooooooo awesome for me!!!! Now I'm going to have to figure out my cake pricing all over again because I have been charging a $25 set up fee for the assembly and piping borders on site......if I deliver fully assembled I can't charge that lol.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

So this is sooooooooooooo awesome for me!!!! Now I'm going to have to figure out my cake pricing all over again because I have been charging a $25 set up fee for the assembly and piping borders on site......if I deliver fully assembled I can't charge that lol.

Of course you can still charge the deliver/set up fee! Are they hauling that 5-tier cake and placing it just right on the table themselves?

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:30pm
post #11 of 48
Quote:

Firstly well done you and congrats.

Secondly, Clearly the people purchasing your cakes are happy to pay what you have been charging. Its a new year just put that $25 on the cost of your cakes so you still get it, no-one will know and clearly going by what you said, every penny counts.

Good luck with the safe

Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:52pm
post #12 of 48

icon_biggrin.gif Congratulations! Well deserved icon_smile.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:58pm
post #13 of 48

Congratulations!! I saw the actual product at a recent ICES DOS - they are soooooo nice. Let us know how it works for you.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:10pm
post #14 of 48

congratulations!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:17pm
post #15 of 48

Congratualtions!!! Those are some well made awesome boxes, and I don't know of anyone else that would appreciate it more. AND I agree with the others, DO NOT take that fee out, just incorporate it some other way into your pricing. Enjoy your prize!!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:34pm
post #16 of 48

Yay!!! Congrats Girl you deserve it!!!!
Secondly heck yeah you can still charge the delivery set up fee. You still have to carry the thing, take it out of the box successfully and patch the hole in the top tier from the support rod in the Cake Safe, and place the topper. That fee is well earned! You need to up your prices as it is not make less. icon_wink.gif

Edited to add: You can bet your bottom dollar they want your picture. They are also going to want pictures of your cakes int heir boxes! your cakes are so beautiful and perfectly neatly done-of course they are going to want pictures! So put on some lipstick and have fun!

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:36pm
post #17 of 48

congratualtions! and you sure can still charge $25 for delivery and set up. You deserve it and then go buy those bags!! icon_smile.gif

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:41pm
post #18 of 48

I am so happy for you!!!

And as for the $20 bag of disposable bags, I always buy those, plus vanilla, meringue powder, glucose and whatever other Wilton products I use at JoAnn or Hobby Lobby with 40% off coupons.... so the $20 box of bags is only $12 that way.

I am finding that I prefer featherweight bags now, but I also buy those with coupons.

There isn't a lot of Wilton stuff that I use, but what I do use I don't pay full price for.

You can pretty much always find a 40% off coupon on their websites (probably Michaels also, but I don't have one of those locally). I happen to drive by JoAnn and Hobby Lobby on my way home from work every day, so it doesn't bother me to stop every day and buy one thing at a time.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:49pm
post #19 of 48

WOW!!! That is so awesome! I was on that original posting with you. The safe intrigued so many of us, but the cost was more than we could consider. I don't really have any cake disasters (don't make enough to have one -yet-) so I didn't enter. It could not have gone to a more deserving person. Your disaster was the best... so to speak! icon_lol.gif

Congratulations, and enjoy that safe!!!

KHalstead Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:09pm
post #20 of 48

you guys are so sweet...........and that $25 set up fee will most likely become a $25 TRANSFER fee LOL

Thank you all so much for the kind words, it really means a lot to me!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:16pm
post #21 of 48

Oooo, CONGRATULATIONS! And I think it's a great idea that the $25 set=up fee is now a transfer fee.

KHalstead Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:18pm
post #22 of 48

lol.......they don't want to sign the waiver that I have that says it's not my fault if the thing crashes during delivery if I don't "transfer" it for them....lol

Why doesn't anyone want to sign it?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:21pm
post #23 of 48

Pish posh it is still a delivery and set up fee.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:30pm
post #24 of 48

Very Cool. Congrats icon_biggrin.gif It's awesome when nice things happen to people.

Mike

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:29pm
post #25 of 48

Congratulations!

I going to start saving so I can get one too.

Lomikesa

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:33pm
post #26 of 48
Quote:

lol.......they don't want to sign the waiver that I have that says it's not my fault if the thing crashes during delivery if I don't "transfer" it for them....lol

Why doesn't anyone want to sign it?

Cause they don't want to be held responsible for dropping their own cake, but no signature, no cake. Mensch once had a story about I think it was the MOB & bride or aunt who picked up the wedding cake, and it was in a box, proceeded to turn the cake on it's side and shove itin the corner where they had a little space. The trunk was full. O.M.G!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:50pm
post #27 of 48

Congratulations!!!! I'm glad something good came out of that sad, sad story about your gorgeous cake. thumbs_up.gif

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 6:08pm
post #28 of 48

Congratulations and well done!!

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 6:23pm
post #29 of 48

He really does love you thissssssssssssss much. Again, Congrats!

KHalstead Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 7:29pm
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Congratulations!!!! I'm glad something good came out of that sad, sad story about your gorgeous cake. thumbs_up.gif

so funny, because I thought the same thing. When that happened my husband quoted the Bible to me "All things work together for good for those that love God" and said somehow this will be a good thing.....as I stood in front of him crying about how I had ruined someone's wedding and not just anyone, someone at our church who I'd have to face EVERY week after the wedding.

I thought the "good thing" that came of it was learning about sps.......and then having a gracious bride on top of it, that didn't freak out........and now a cake safe!! I must be the luckiest person on earth. I hope this isn't a joke...I'm so excited LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%