Gumpaste And The Cricut

Decorating By estherwheat Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 3:34pm by Renaejrk

estherwheat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
estherwheat Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 5

I did it! I was able to successfully cut out letters for my sis-in-law's surprise 50th B-Day cake out of gum paste with my Cricut! I looked to try to find a you tube video, but the only ones I saw were ads. I decided to trial and error it and see if I could figure it out. My Cricut is over a year old, so I did not worry about a warranty issue. To prep my Cricut Expression, I slid all of the rubber rings to the left. Not hard to do. Then I cleaned my machine very well and used rubbing alcohol on the blade since that is the only part of the machine that actually touches the gum paste. I took a well used mat and cleaned off the sticky that was left and cleaned very well with a kitchen cleanser. So, here are some of the lessons learned:

1. Never, ever get the gp close to the edge of the mat. It does clean up OK but if you don't do it in the first place....

2. I had to have my gp very dry. If it had any sticky at all, it would not cut correctly and made another mess to clean up.

3. Gp needs to be very thin. I think that I finally have a reason to get a deep cut blade. I think that if I could cut a slightly thicker gp I would have been a little happier.

4. Patience!

5. Higher pressure and slower cut. Trial and error until you get the right combo.

6. I used shortening on the mat to stick gp to it. Not a lot.

7. I am sure that there are lots of people here that have done this with more success than I have had and would love to hear their pointers and PLEASE do not think that you will offend me by correcting me here. I flew by the seat of my pants and probably did it all wrong, but at least I did it!!!

I would like to know how to get a smoother edge on my cuts.

Thanks, and Please help me do this better! I will post a pix of my cake once I have it all finished and set up.

icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 5

You might find this thread helpful. My post about my success & how I achieved it (including pics) is about 1/2 way down on page 1 of the thread. Congrats!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6664843-.html#6664843

estherwheat Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:24am
post #3 of 5

Thanks, that was very helpful. Wonder why I couldn't find it when I was searching everywhere! I see where I can make many improvements!

estherwheat Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 5

The party was wonderful. Here is the finished cake with all of the elements pulled together.
LL

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 5

That is gorgeous! I'm jealous - I want a Cricut!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%