Serving Cake Samples Help

Decorating By Dreme Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 9:13pm by _Jamie_

Dreme Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 5

I have my first official cake tasting coming up. I need advice on how to serve my samples and at what time do I serve them. I have read the other post on how to conduct a tasting and how some people used cupcakes or mini cakes. I want to do something different. I was wondering how to present my samples thats impressive but time efficent for me.

If your website has all of your cake flavors listed as well as icings, fillings, etc; Then how do you do a cake tasting where the samples are already put together? (Where no one is mixing and matching cake to fillings). Do you provide them with a list of cake combinations to choose from? What if they want to mix because they saw the flavors (separated out) on your website? Mixing and matching just seems like more of a mess and more utensils. Plus I want to send them home with a take away box with the samples put together.

My Idea:

present cake combination samples in little 2 oz shot glass like cups, and mini spoons (shown here: There would be four samples in a row on a rectangular plate with a little scalloped disk of fondant for sampling.

How do I go about this whole procedure? Do I need to change my website to say cake combinations instead? Do I provide a list to the bride of cake combinations she can choose from? I really like the 2oz cups, im just trying to figure out how to make it work.

4 replies
KoryAK Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 5

I like the 2oz cups for bridal fair samples, but not tasting ones. I use a 10" gold cardboard or a doilied one with 4 quarters of (different) 6" cakes on it, each split with a filling inside and buttercream on top. A ball of fondant in a mini muffin cup on the side. When they are done, whatever is left goes in a box to go home with them.

As for the meeting flow, I get basic people info, then we design the cake, then I go to finish off the samples while they look at my main flavor list, they eat while I figure out the cake price, they tell me desired flavors, I hit them with the price, I give them my contract to look over while I walk away so they can discuss all, then I come back to answer any questions and/or sign the contract.

_Jamie_ Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 5

I have 1"x1" cubes of about 8 different cakes all arranged on a large platter. I have little teeny ice cream scoops of just about every filling/frosting/curd/preserve/ganached I make on a large sushi style platter. The platter has a grid across it that is raised, so it has like 20 different little squares that separate everything. Little ice cream tasters (those little wooden flat spoon thingies) are given to each person. They can mix and match flavors as they wish. Probably where red velvet and caramel got to be popular....BELLA! Nyah! Hee hee. icon_biggrin.gif

Now, this is super freaking time consuming, so I only do these big ole tasting blowouts a few times a year, usually right after a bridal show. The other times, I make up to go packages and they are picked up the Sunday morning after whatever I was baking that weekend for orders.

Dreme Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 5

If I do cut cake samples do I do one tray with samples big enough for everyone to taste or do I do individual plates with thier own samples? Personally I wouldn't want to share from the same plate.

What do you guys do with the left over batter?

_Jamie_ Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 5

I wouldn't want to share from the same plate either. Each couple gets their own setup. I serve the cubes from one platter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%