Wow! Just Got A Great Rolling Pin!

Decorating By JustToEatCake Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 2:22pm by AverageMom

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 14

I recently did a poll asking about rolling pins and got some good reviews. I asked about the aluminum one from Sams Club website and one CC'er said she had heard they were really nice. They were only 18.00 (got the 15" one) boy is this ever NICE!! It far exceeds my expectations so if you are looking for a nice rolling pin check Sams. I'm so glad I didn't go for the 18" it would have been almost 2 feet wide! Just thought I'd share in case anyone is looking for one.

13 replies
multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 14

You might think its nuts, but for fondant I use a wooden French Rolling Pin, and believe it or not it works BEAUTIFULLY, for me anyway.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 14

I too use a wooden pin for my fondant. Got it on Ebay, cheap. It was made in Vermont. I really like it. Maybe I'm nuts too!! icon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 14

I have a silicone one that I love, and a mini kids silicone one I like for doing small fondant decorations.

JustToEatCake Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 14

I wanted a rolling pin that had handles (wrist issue). I already have the french kind and a wooden one but I wanted stainless originally but then found this aluminum. This rolling pin is awesome!

Kitagrl Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 14

My silicone ones have handles...I agree, I have never mastered the non-handled one.

JustToEatCake Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

My silicone ones have handles...I agree, I have never mastered the non-handled one.

I'm going to have to look for the mini kids one! That's a great idea.

Kitagrl Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I'm going to have to look for the mini kids one! That's a great idea.

I found mine (I think) at Marshalls HomeGoods....

Anyway look up "Sil Pin" on Fiesta Products, they also have "Sil Pin Junior" which is the tiny one I like to use for little projects like rolling out a piece of fondant to cut dots or shapes from.

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 14

That's another one of those items that I thought I really needed, thanks to the Wilton cake instructor. Didn't know at the time you could use any other kind. He said that we would need it so being the best student that I could be went out and bought the one he told us. Guess that's what he's suppose to do, get you to buy wilton products. Should have done my homework her on CC first.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 14

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Sams one! I did get the 18" one which is, as you mentioned, BIG. I love that though, because I have to roll out such large pieces of fondant and it's just a breeze.

I, too, have the Wilton one, and it makes me insane, lol. I need handles!!!!

JustToEatCake Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulie

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Sams one! I did get the 18" one which is, as you mentioned, BIG. I love that though, because I have to roll out such large pieces of fondant and it's just a breeze.

I, too, have the Wilton one, and it makes me insane, lol. I need handles!!!!

I almost ordered the bigger one, IN FACT the bigger one is cheaper but I don't have alot of counter space, I mean it seriously, so I thought the smaller (and it's NOT small) would be easier to manuever in my kitchen. I still can't get over how nice this thing is for the price.

I actually rec'd TWO rolling pins for xmas. One non stick kitchenaid one and another one, not sure exactly who made it BUT they knew I wanted this one from Sam's (they went to the store to buy it but Sam's doesn't carry it in stock in our store) so they told me I could take them back and get the one I wanted.

I will say this it took them 5 days before they shipped it so if anyone is wanting/needing one fast be prepared to wait. Def worth the wait.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:23pm
post #12 of 14

No handle silicone. I love the way it slides smoothly.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm
post #13 of 14

I have both the non handled Wilton roller and the silicon one - love the bright yellow silicon one and never use the non handled one.....

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:22pm
post #14 of 14

I have a no-handle silicone one, and while it works, it isn't the best for me. Thanks for the tips...I don't have a Sam's here, but now I know where to look online!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%