Wafer Paper How To??

Decorating By bobwonderbuns Updated 9 Apr 2014 , 1:58am by aray756

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 22

Hey everyone! Okay so I did it this time -- I saw the wafer paper online and just HAD to have it! icon_lol.gif It arrives and only then do I realize I have NO CLUE what to do with it! icon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gif So for all you sugar geniuses out there, how does one work with wafer paper? I'm thinking I want to put them on cookies but I'm not limiting that option. Thanks in advance for your input! icon_biggrin.gif

21 replies
deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 22

I am no expert at this at all but... I have used it with my Cricut machine, printed off what I have wanted on it, cut around, and then attach it to gumpaste. I was making a cheerleader cake and used it for the top piece. I have also used it with my edible image printer in the same way. Hopefully someone who know more than I do can help.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 22

I've used it to make butterflies with the instructions on CC.

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 22

Where did you see those instructions?

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 22

I've done it a couple times now and it's pretty easy. In my gallery you'll see cookies with antique Santa Clause images (still don't know how to insert photos in the forum!). You need a firm, dry base. I used Toba's glacee icing on sturdy sugar cookies, but you can apply the wafer paper on top of Royal or fondant, as well. It wouldn't work on buttercream or anything soft or greasy, which would be absorbed by the paper. (Wafer paper is made of potato starch and a binder.) Cut out the image, turn it over, and on the back side brush a thin layer of corn syrup. Then just place the image right side up on your icing surface and gently press to adhere all the edges. Then, place the cookie face down on parchment and let it dry for at least 30 minutes. As it dries face down, the image remains flat on the icing surface. Once it's dry, you can decorate on top of it -- I used vodka and gold dust to paint highlights, edible glitter, sanding sugar, and dragees. And get this: my Santa cookies sold for over $26 EACH at a charity auction!!

luddroth Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 22

photo
LL

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 22

Wow! Thanks Luddroth!! Those cookies are phenomenal!!! I'm looking forward to playing with this stuff now!! I'm wondering about the butterflies that were mentioned -- would you put that on little fondant butterflies?

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:10am
post #8 of 22

Bob...my butterfly cake was made from wafer paper butterflies I got from Fancy Flours. You cut them out, bend them and then paint them with piping gel and let them dry. I suppose you could also cut out gumpaste or fondant to attach them to, but wow, that would be a lot of cutting! After they were dry I decorated them with edible glitters.

Jodie
LL

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:33am
post #9 of 22

What do you mean you paint them with piping gel? To attach to something?

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:42am
post #10 of 22

No, you coat them, then let them dry. It makes them shine. I just followed the directions that came with the butterflies.

http://www.fancyflours.com/butterflies-all-hues-in-set.html

Jodie

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:57am
post #11 of 22

How does this wafer paper compare to the rice paper I use on buttercream with images put on by KopyKake-type machines?

luddroth Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:17am
post #12 of 22

Whoa, Jodie -- I hadn't seen those butterflies. They're gorgeous! Much prettier than the gel type, I think. I didn't realize that they would firm up enough to use with just a coating of gel. I'll definitely try that. Bob -- I also got my santa images from Fancy Flours. Lutie -- I've never tried the rice paper edible images. Does the paper just sit on the buttercream or is it transferred onto it? The wafer paper is intended for hard, dry surfaces only, according to the vendors, so I assume it wouldn't work on buttercream.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:25am
post #13 of 22

[quote="lutie"]How does this wafer paper compare to the rice paper I use on buttercream with images put on by KopyKake-type machines?[/quote]

same thing. The *proper* name is wafer paper, as they are not actually made of rice, although a lot of us have called it rice paper for a number of years.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:32am
post #14 of 22
luddroth Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:41pm
post #15 of 22

So, leah s, can I apply the wafer paper images to buttercream? The instructions from Fancy Flours specify a hard surface (fondant, royal, glacee) so I understood that buttercream would not work. Have you used the pre-printed wafer images on buttercream?

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:49pm
post #16 of 22

Well, I have been around before it was called "wafer" paper...that is why I asked the question if it happened to be the same...it has always been "rice paper" to me.

I use "rice paper" (aka "wafer") on buttercream...right now I am making an Ohio State University Horseshoe Stadium cake and I decided to get the official OSU scoreboard on the rice paper to put on the buttercream (also, I am making a billboard on the outside of the stadium using the rice paper ...buttercream, again) ...a couple of weeks ago I used the rice paper on a U of KY basketball for the logo...it was covered in buttercream...you can see it in my photos...worked great and the client said she saved the logo until she was so hungry for more of the cake that she broke down and ate that last piece! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I will be using it on a buttercream castle because the little girl wants her picture as a princess on the top of the castle..so, I find you can use it on buttercream.

redrooter99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redrooter99 Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 5:48am
post #17 of 22

AI bought some of these images with sky lander for my sons birthday in January, now I made cupcakes to It them on, I iced the cupcakes , cream cheese frosting then put the images on, it was the night before, late next day get to Arty take out of cupcake caddy and there they are all images had run, and. Couldn't even tell what the image was, now someone tell me what went wrong, I cut them out an put them straight on cakes, should I have made a base first out of fondant??? Thanks I have some handbag ones and don't want the same mistake.

kerriealloyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerriealloyd Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 7:35pm
post #18 of 22

I used it to make flowers for cupcakes. A photo is in my gallery. 

Deeaugust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deeaugust Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 8:56pm
post #19 of 22

Okay. So I'm Googling and Youtubing trying to find out how to use wafer paper. I'm making a cake for my daughter in law's shower tomorrow. I went to the local bakey supply house and as I was describing how I wanted to make a stack of children's books the woman working there says "You should try wafer paper. You can trace the cover of a book and then just lay it on your buttercream."

From what I've found online that is NOT the way to do it. Some sites says to do it just before presentation. Others say to glue it down and one even said don't put it on anything but fondant. I'm using one of those "fluffy icing" recipes made with crisco and gluten free flour. 

CAN I use these wafer papers or should I forget about it?

Thanks!

Deeaugust

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 9:33pm
post #20 of 22

what setting do you have your printers on? Whenever I try to print with wafer paper it feeds right through and says there is not paper :(

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 8:37pm
post #21 of 22

Look up the Craftsy class called Delicate Wafer Paper Flowers or whatever, and you'll see many way to use the wafer paper.  Cheers

aray756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aray756 Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 1:58am
post #22 of 22

Ajust take transfers out of plastic then peal and add to Buttercream cake for fondant cake spray a little water peal and place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%