Pearls

Decorating By lauthala Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 10:18pm by ikklejo

lauthala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauthala Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:50am
post #1 of 7

How to make and colour the pearls I see so often on cakes here.

6 replies
KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 7

I use a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant,
then dye to what color you want,
roll into a long "rope",
cut it into equal cylinders (think tube of cookies and cutting those-however if you want different sized pearls cut some of the tube small and some larger)
roll and wait to dry
paint with pearlescent (I use this http://cooksdream.com/store/10572.html this company is awesome)
use sugar glue and apply to cake.

as seen here
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1340300

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 7

I buy them unless it's an unusual color. They come in ivory, pink, blue, silver and gold at least.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 7

Do you mean single pearls or a "strand" of pearls? I am with Leah for the singles, but if you want a strand, there are several molds out there that you can buy to make the strands. I have the CK one - I bought it from sugardelites.com - hope that helps!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 7

I sprinkle a little tylose in my fondant, died to the color I want. Then I roll it out using a rolling pin guide to make sure it's an even thickness. Then I cut out little circles from this using the end of a round decorating/piping tip (the size tip I use depends on how big I want the pearl to be.

I then roll each cutout in my palm to a ball and place them in a small round tupperware container. I sprinkle a small amount of pearl dust, or luster dust of the appropriate color, in and roll them around to coat. I find this method gives me the most uniform sized pearls.

lauthala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauthala Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for your help,don't seem to be into pearls here,I don't do much cake decorating any more so may be a tad behind the times,I have a wedding cake to do in March, I have free rein with it except for the colours and I thought I would like to do something with pearls,I do like them,plenty of ideas on this site.(Also going to have a go at quilting I think.)

ikklejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ikklejo Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 7

I found a real simple way - I use fondant (whatever colour you like) roll out even thickness and using the end of a icing nozzle cut out as many as you need so they are all the same size and roll gently into balls - place in a tub with the pearl dust colour of your choice - shake so they are evenly covered and leave to dry! Easy icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%