Decorating By lauthala Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 10:18pm by ikklejo

lauthala Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:50am
post #1 of 7

How to make and colour the pearls I see so often on cakes here.

6 replies
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 7

I use a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant,
then dye to what color you want,
roll into a long "rope",
cut it into equal cylinders (think tube of cookies and cutting those-however if you want different sized pearls cut some of the tube small and some larger)
roll and wait to dry
paint with pearlescent (I use this this company is awesome)
use sugar glue and apply to cake.

as seen here

leah_s Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 7

I buy them unless it's an unusual color. They come in ivory, pink, blue, silver and gold at least.

Loucinda Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 7

Do you mean single pearls or a "strand" of pearls? I am with Leah for the singles, but if you want a strand, there are several molds out there that you can buy to make the strands. I have the CK one - I bought it from - hope that helps!

artscallion Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 7

I sprinkle a little tylose in my fondant, died to the color I want. Then I roll it out using a rolling pin guide to make sure it's an even thickness. Then I cut out little circles from this using the end of a round decorating/piping tip (the size tip I use depends on how big I want the pearl to be.

I then roll each cutout in my palm to a ball and place them in a small round tupperware container. I sprinkle a small amount of pearl dust, or luster dust of the appropriate color, in and roll them around to coat. I find this method gives me the most uniform sized pearls.

lauthala Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for your help,don't seem to be into pearls here,I don't do much cake decorating any more so may be a tad behind the times,I have a wedding cake to do in March, I have free rein with it except for the colours and I thought I would like to do something with pearls,I do like them,plenty of ideas on this site.(Also going to have a go at quilting I think.)

ikklejo Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 7

I found a real simple way - I use fondant (whatever colour you like) roll out even thickness and using the end of a icing nozzle cut out as many as you need so they are all the same size and roll gently into balls - place in a tub with the pearl dust colour of your choice - shake so they are evenly covered and leave to dry! Easy icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%