Decopac Licensed Characters

Decorating By bricker Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 3:35am by prterrell

bricker Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:41am
post #1 of 10

I've just started a home bakery. I want to know if I can sell cakes that I have decorated with the licensed characters kits I purchased from

Thanks for your help.


9 replies
TexasSugar Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 10

I believe the answer is yes. From my understanding buying edible images is one of the few ways that you can legally do character related cakes.

icingimages Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 10

Yes you can as you have paid for the permission to use the license in the price of the product.

bricker Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for your quick reply!


Mike1394 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 10

Don't grocery store bakeries sell them? Why would you be any different?


icingimages Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 10

Exactly Mike. As long as you do not copy it, you can use it.

icingimages Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:51am
post #7 of 10

I am sorry, let me rephrase that, as long as you dont copy and then sell your copy, you are fine. You can copy anything as long as you dont sell it

prterrell Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 10

Yes, but unless you have a tax id number, you will not be able to order the kits at whole sale prices directly from DecoPac and BakeryCraft, and even with a tax id number, they may decide not to sell to you if they determne your business is too small. Additionally, when doing kit cakes, you must follow the design instructions provided with the kit exactly.

icingimages Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 10

Very true, the licences they purchase have stipulations as to who they can sell to

prterrell Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:35am
post #10 of 10

Besides, doing kit cakes puts you in direct competition with the grocery store bakeries, which, since they are NOT designed to make a profit (everything in those bakeries is sold at a LOSS), you really cannot do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%