Tiered Cream Cheese Frosted Cake? Can It Be Done?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 5:25am by JamieBrooke

LoriMc Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:21am
post #1 of 12

What do you tell someone who wants a 2 tier carrot cake frosted in cream cheese icing? There was a thread on here the other day with tons of cake disasters where they used cream cheese frosting.

1) Can it be safely done with the SPS system?
2) Since Cream Cheese frosting needs to be refrigerated, how does that work with fondant bows and decorations?

11 replies
JanH Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:36am
post #2 of 12

Cream cheese frosting is difficult to work with and some members have stated (worse case scenario) disasters where it slid down/off the cake tiers.

However, it's not been determined that all the cake disaster posters used the same cream cheese frosting recipe. But the problem can't be with ALL recipes, since there are members who have used "their" recipe for cream cheese frosting and successfully decorated tiered cakes.

But I've never heard of a case where cream cheese frosting caused any of the common cake support systems to fail. I don't know how that would be possible.. The frosting doesn't support the cake tiers - that's what the cake support system does.

Not all cream cheese frostings require refrigeration, it depends on the recipe.

Everything you ever wanted to know about cream cheese frosting:
(Includes recipes that don't require refrigeration. Also discussion on cream cheese frosting and fondant.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6620931.html#6620931

The truth about cream cheese frosting:
(Many links to previous threads on food safety, difficulty in decorating, shelf stable recipes, etc.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-615264-.html

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above superthread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more.

HTH

prterrell Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:42am
post #3 of 12

The very first wedding cake I ever did was three 6"-tall tiers of red velvet iced and filled with cream cheese frosting. This was long before I'd ever heard of the SPS and so was constructed using cardboard rounds and wooden dowels. I constructed and frosted on-site, so I didn't use a center dowel (hadn't heard of doing that yet, either). The cake sat in the reception hall for a good 6 hours (it was very cool in there, wedding was in January and the heat wasn't turned on until just before the reception) before the reception even started.

No problems. None.

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:49am
post #4 of 12

I've used Earlene's cream cheese recipe (with a packet of dream whip added to cut the greasy feel) and it behaves just like regular buttercream. It doesn't have to be refrigerated either.

LoriMc Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:17am
post #5 of 12

So the crusting cream cheese sounds like a good idea and I'm assuming doesn't require refrigeration.

Just for my own information if I ever make a small cake with real cream cheese icing and top it with a fondant bow, will the bow hold up in the refrigerator?

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:19am
post #6 of 12

If your fondant bow is totally dry then it should hold up in the fridge. Gumpaste will hold up in the fridge too...I put gumpaste loops on a cake that I had in the fridge for three days and they were just as hard on the third day as the first.

LoriMc Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:23am
post #7 of 12

Thanks! Good to know. If she decides she wants it I will have to find a recipe that doesn't need the dream whip stuff. I can't ever find it in the grocery store here.

JanH Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:49am
post #8 of 12

There are recipes in the threads I provided, none of which use Dream Whip. icon_smile.gif

LoriMc Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:19am
post #9 of 12

Yeah, I realize there are others thanks for that. Just seems like most people on here are recommending Earlene's recipe. Although the original doesn't include Dream whip. Guess I could try it without.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:41am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Thanks! Good to know. If she decides she wants it I will have to find a recipe that doesn't need the dream whip stuff. I can't ever find it in the grocery store here.

Do you have a Walmart with the grocery inside? They usually carry it, it's by the jello and no-bake cheesecakes. I make creamcheese all the time with no problems, it's a family fave. icon_smile.gif

icer101 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:12am
post #11 of 12

earlenes cream cheese icing is very good and does do well on tiered cakes.. of course it is not the original cream cheese icing that has been out for years.. it has crisco in it also.. that is why it is more stable.. she also uses butavan. i use that when i make it too.. very tasty.. never have added dream whip either.. make it just like she says... the butavan is an emulsion.. thick.. .. hth

JamieBrooke Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:25am
post #12 of 12

I have made several cakes with the cream cheese icing filling and buttercream on the outside. I have had no complaints from any customers on this. They get the great taste of the cream cheese and I get the ease of the buttercream to decorate. I have done this on Red Velvet wedding cake...Carrot Cake...and LB Cake. All have loved these cakes. I just explain that to have the nicer look the buttercream works best. I use the basic recipe 1 stick butter, 1 8oz pack cream cheese and 1lb box of powder sugar. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%