Wilton Fondant Vs> Mmf

Decorating By cakefairy2348 Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 12:29am by artscallion

cakefairy2348 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy2348 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 10

ok, I have made a few cakes and they have turned out great....the problem is that Wilton fondant tastes weird!!! I am making a cake for saturday, it's a saturday night live theme and I want to make a spartan cheerleader cake!! What could I use to finish the cake besides wilton, Marshmallow fondant? Last time I made it fron scratch is was so sticky that I could barely do anything with it!!!!! Any ideas or a good MMF recipe would be great!!!! icon_sad.gif

9 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 10

Hi and Welcome to CC, cakefairy2348. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC cake and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

Here's a thread on using white chocolate modeling/candy clay instead of fondant:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-622286-.html

HTH

ShellsSweetsIndy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 10

satin ice is my favorite. Wilton is horrible once you try this. Plus you can roll it very thin.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 10

Wilton fondant tastes like bug spray. I use MFF. (different from MMF)

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 10

If the MMF is too sticky you just need more icing sugar kneaded into it, use what the recipe says as a guide and just knead in an amount of icing sugar till it becomes how you want to work with it

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 10

Wilton fondant shouldn't really be classified as an edible product. It's quite possibly the nastiest thing on earth, and has had the heaviest hand in contributing to people's fear of fondant. Homemade, handmade fondant is simply delicious.

cakefairy2348 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy2348 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 10

I thought the flavor was just me (and DH) but now that I see the MFF recipe, I think that I will try that instead!!! Can you let it rest for more than 6 hours (or overnight) like if I made it tomorrow for a cake on saturday?

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:18am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Wilton fondant shouldn't really be classified as an edible product. It's quite possibly the nastiest thing on earth, and has had the heaviest hand in contributing to people's fear of fondant. Homemade, handmade fondant is simply delicious.

Ditto this whole post. If you are in the market to buy fondant, I also recommend Satin Ice.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:27am
post #9 of 10

Wilton fondant (even flavoured) turned me off fondant for years. Finding out about MMF opened a whole new world of decorating for me! Satin ice is also very tasty, but expensive. I buy it once in a while, esp for red and black, as I hate coloring those. Satin ice will last up to a year if you keep it well sealed. I've only kept my MMF for a couple of months well sealed. But it's fairly inexpensive and quick to make. Have fun! icon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:29am
post #10 of 10

"Can you let it rest for more than 6 hours (or overnight) like if I made it tomorrow for a cake on saturday?"

No problem. I usually make mine a week or more ahead. I substitute flavored non-dairy creamer for the cream in the recipe to add to the deliciousness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%