Attach Ribbon Border

Decorating By Donnawb Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 5:36am by indydebi

Donnawb Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 8

How do I attach a fabric ribbon border......on both fondant and buttercream? Thanks!

7 replies
nonnyscakes Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 8

I use corsage pins or broken toothpicks. Be sure to tell the recipient that they are in there.

CiNoRi Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 8

I read once to put a strip of foil or acitate as a buffer between the ribbon and the icing.

They said it would help with keeping oils or something from affecting the ribbon. ...Is there any truth to that? Is it necessary?

deetmar Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 8

I have used dabs or royal icing, and also melted chocolate. If I can do it at home, I prefer the chocolate, but on site, I use RI.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:01am
post #5 of 8

I love my hot glue gun for this. Poking needles into cake seems like an accident waiting to happen! Fold the ribbon over, iron a crease if need be, and dab some glue on there. Be sure to do it before the ribbon gets greasy if you're attaching it to buttercream. I hold it with a pin but remove it once the glue is dry. Keep trying different things until you find what works best for you. Different strokes for different folks!! icon_biggrin.gif

Auntie_RaRa Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:10am
post #6 of 8

I simply use buttercream icing to secure the ribbon. Never had one to come apart in 5 years.

jammjenks Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:12am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_RaRa

I simply use buttercream icing to secure the ribbon. Never had one to come apart in 5 years.

Me too.

indydebi Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:36am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_RaRa

Me too.

Me three.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%