How Can I Keep... (2 Questions-Long)

Decorating By tonicake Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 5:59am by cheatize

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 8

black fondant from "running?"

I'm sure this is somewhere in the forums, but I can't take any more time searching. Please help me! (I have 2 how can I's.)

I am getting ready to go to Florida and have a cake that has to be delivered tomorrow to the restaurant for Saturday. They are going to keep it in the refrigerator or freezer - not sure which. I only have an over sized 1/2 sheet box bottom to hold the cake in.

Q. 1
There is going to be black fondant letters on the side of a sailboat. When they set it out how can I be sure it will not run down the side of the white fondant?

Q. 2
How can I or what is the best way to secure a fondant sail (opened) for the week when it is set out and will be coming to room temperature? Is there a suggestion that will keep it from sagging?

Thank you for your help!!!!

Toni

7 replies
deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 8

You shouldn't have a problem with it running unless you use too much gumglue when you put it on. If you use a minimal amount of gum glue, water, or piping gel, it should not run. I'm not sure about the freezer because I have never froze a fondant cake, but I do put mine in the fridge all the time and never have a problem. If you are afraid of those, you could also melt a little black or white chocolate and put the letters etc on the cake with that. It will not run, and will give it a tight hold.

Second question, I'm not sure how you plan on securing it, but chocolate works really well. Match the chocolate to what color you are using dab some on and it will stay secure. You can also use royal icing if you have time to hold it until it is totally dry.

I hope this helps!?

tonicake Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you. I'll give those ideas a try! I never even thought about the chocolate to attach. I can certainly do that.

Thanks a bunch!!!!

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 8

Chocolate dries very fast so you don't have to hold it for very long. Hope this helps! The wafers come in all different colors which is good for matching you fondant.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 8

It has been my experience that if a fondant covered cake with colored fondant embelishments is kept in the freezer or refridgerator, when it is brought to room temp condensation will form and the colors will run. So lets say that you have a white boat with black fondant letters on the side that has been refridgerated or frozen , once it is taken out of the fridge or freezer, it will "sweat" and the black color from the letters will run or "drip" down the white side of the boat.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 8

..moving to Cake Decorating. icon_smile.gif

tonicake Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:00am
post #7 of 8

Thank you. I'll give those ideas a try! I never even thought about the chocolate to attach. I can certainly do that.

Thanks a bunch!!!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:59am
post #8 of 8

I'm certainly not sure by any means, but won't Royal soften in the fridge? My fridge is a bit moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%