phoufer Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 9:44pm
post #1 of

I am doing a 4 tier wedding cake. 2 of the tiers are to have sugar crystals or sanding sugar on them. What do I use on the fondant to make sure the sugar sticks and stays and what is the best sugar to use for this? I am attaching a picture of the effect the bride wants. TIA
LL

7 replies
cylstrial Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 10:45pm
post #2 of

Put some piping gel on the side of the cake. Then fill your hand with the sanding sugar and press it onto the cake.

deetmar Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 10:54pm
post #3 of

I asked this exact questions about a year ago, and was given the same exact answer, worked great. I also tried putting the sugar on a piece of card stock and holding it up to the cake, but you have to be very quick or it all runs down.

Donnawb Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:16am
post #4 of

How do you attach the ribbon like the one in the photo you posted?

HarleyDee Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:17am
post #5 of

I'm wondering if using water-thinned Karo syrup would work if you didn't have any piping gel?

aundrea Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:25am
post #6 of

do you thin the pipping gel with anything or use it straight from the container?
does it affect the taste of the fondant?

wrightway777 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:39am
post #7 of

Heres a recipe for those who want to try Piping gel (but dont have it on hand) (this will last in the refrigerator for up to 2 months) :
PIPING GEL RECIPE:

2 envelopes (2 tablespoons) Knox unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons cold water
2 cups light Karo syrup

1. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a small saucepan and let set for about 5 minutes. Heat on low until the gelatin has become clear/dissolved - DO NOT BOIL.

2. Add the syrup and heat thoroughly.

tips: you can flavor piping gel with lorann oils. Piping gel can also be colored with your gel/paste colors.

If you dont have (or cant get) the unflavored gelatin heres a different recipe:
http://www.cakesandmore.org/blog/2009/05/piping-gel/

Deb_ Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:25am
post #8 of

I use corn syrup to attach sugar crystals to fondant.....works great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%