Size/number Of Tiers To Serve 175?

Decorating By CherryBlossomCakesDC Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 8:02pm by CherryBlossomCakesDC

CherryBlossomCakesDC Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 7

Hi - I'm sure this question is asked all the time and I really did try to find it - I'm a forum newbie. Would love some advice on how many tiers and what size/height to make a wedding cake to serve 175-200. I've only made smaller cakes - 6-9-12 was my biggest and I'm ready to branch out, but want to invest wisely in bigger pans!

6 replies
Lcubed82 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 7

Wilton has serving/cutting guides on their website. Also, Indydebi has a better cutting method on her website.

JanH Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 7

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more.

The so much more is detailed help with baking, common cake support systems and decorating hints & tips.

It's a long read, so get comfy.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:11am
post #4 of 7
indydebi Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:39am
post #5 of 7

Wilton Wedding Serving Chart:
Most venues cut by this (1x2x4). I use it to determine pricing (number of servings from this chart times my per serving rate).

Here's how to cut a cake to achieve these servings: I actually get about 10% more servings by cutting this way.

Here is a photo of a 1x2x4 piece of cake just so you can see it's NOT paper thin, like most people think it is when they hear the words "one inch":

Darthburn Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:48am
post #6 of 7

40 tiers, all 20 inch by 8 inch rounds.

Ok, now the shock is over, whatever they told you it is, it doesn't sound near as bad, does it? icon_smile.gif

Happy Caking!!

CherryBlossomCakesDC Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 7

Hi - didn't realize I had turned off the notification to my email box and I thought no one replied to me! Thank you all for the advice. 40 20x8" tiers? That seems like a bit more than they need... icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%