Covering A Cake W/modeling Chocolate Or Candy Clay...

Decorating By cksweets Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm by cksweets

cksweets Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 7

Can I do this? I am looking for an alternative to covering cakes other than fondant, mmf and buttercream. Also, I see that Buddy from CakeBoss covers his cakes w/modeling chocolate.

If I can, I need a recipe. "pretty please" I see there is one on here but there haven't been any comments about it.

I love working w/fondant the most, but people don't seem to like the texture no matter the taste. darn it!! icon_smile.gif

Please help.

6 replies
JanH Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 7

Here's a helpful thread on using white chocolate modeling clay instead of fondant:
(With recipes.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-622286-.html

HTH

drakegore Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 7

here's a decorator in massachusetts who covers most of her cakes in white chocolate clay (rolled chocolate) that you might find inspiring:

http://www.dessertworks.net/weddinghome2.html

diane

cksweets Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:04am
post #4 of 7

Thanks Y'all! thumbs_up.gif

cksweets Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:57am
post #5 of 7

Just have a few more questions....

okay i've read and read so far....now for a test. Smile

but i do have a few questions like...

how long does a cake last once covered w/the chocolate leather? ex: fondant - a couple of days. is this the same??

can i use chocolate chips (nestle house version)??

if i want to add color, i read that you i do that by adding fondant or the candy melts. but can i add wilton's gel color?? does this mess w/the consistency?

when covering a cake, do i use crisco or powdered sugar or anything to prepare counter top so that it doesn't stick???

what about hands?? i notice that you have to wash them often. so i am assuming i don't grease them?

okay last question...i think...how does this compare to white chocolate mmf

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR (whoever this nice person maybe!!) I TRULY APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME TO HELP A NEWBIE LIKE ME OUT!!

drakegore Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 7

i use nestle chocolate chips to make my semi-sweet clay and it has always turned out consistently excellent and without issues. the clay will pretty much taste like whatever chocolate you use, so if you prefer the taste of upscale chocolates, you should use those. if you like the taste of chips, then go for it icon_smile.gif.

i never grease or dust my hands when working with MC. i think you will find there is no need.

i have never had much of a sticking problem when i roll it out either, but i don't know if my experience is the norm or not. unless it gets to warm, it is not really super sticky stuff.

adding color: lots of different approaches to this/different opinions. i can tell you what i do and then tell you what i have read. i use candy color (oil based) or a few selected candy melts (or just used colored candy melts period) to the white to give me the color i want, both would be added in the melted form.

other people have advised they use powder.

still other people say that regular coloring can be kneaded in after the chocolate has set up. i have not tried this because i have been a bit concerned about the water based color and chocolate, but i have heard enough people say it works that i am going to have to try it.

diane

cksweets Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 7

thanks so much diane!

and wow!! your cakes are so pretty. glad i could have help from a professional. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%