How Did You Learn?

Decorating By BillieH Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 4:40pm by CookieSue

BillieH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 22

For all you pros and hobbyist I'm curious: How did you learn to decorate? Did you take classes? Self taught?

I'm a dabbler, self taught. Trial and error; that's me. icon_biggrin.gif
(I've got a lot more trial and error in my future lol)

21 replies
MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 22

Hi BillieH! I took one class at a local high school (offered through an adult continuing education booklet). It wasn't a Wilton class, just basic decorating. I loved it ~ but then I always enjoyed baking so it was a natural next step I was excited to explore. Anyway, I am primarily self-taught through books (mostly) and some videos. I have taken a couple courses with Ms. Eleanor Rielander, all very fun, special and memorable experiences for me. icon_smile.gif I am a hobby baker; but if I could, I would definitely go to culinary school! thumbs_up.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 22

I am a hands on kind of gal, although I have taken a few Wilton's courses I would have to say I am more self taught.

I checked out a whole whack of books from my local library and you tube is amazing for do it yourself videos...

CC has been bar far the best tool I have learn from icon_smile.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 22

Trial and error for me and LOTS of looking on here!! These guys and girls can teach you lots of stuff.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 22

self-taught, all the way.

But understand, back when I got started, there was no cable, no food network, no you-tube, no videos, no MIchaels, no internet. If you wanted to decorate cakes, you had a good friend show you (if you knew one) or you bought a book, some bags-n-tips, and figured it out. It was our only option.

I just luv all of the great informational avenues we all have today!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 22

Self taught...and this pre-internet self-taught! icon_biggrin.gif

I do plan on taking classes one day...but not the Wilton's ones.

Trish43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish43 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 22

I took Wiltons beginner class after that first class everthing else was Self taught with videos, books and cable T.V.lol I still have a lot to learn.

CakesbyCindi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCindi Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 22

I took a couple non-Wilton classes for fun years ago, mostly self teaching myself along with the internet, DVD's, CC, Youtube, etc. Still got LOTS to learn though. Wish I had been interested in this 20 years ago, maybe I'd be further along?

Lyns082608 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyns082608 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 22

So far all self-taught with lots of help from a good friend of mine. I'd like to take some classes at Country Kitchen sometime but for now just having fun learning. Like others have said, lots of trail and error!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 22

Got thrown into it when being hired at a Walmart. I was hired for the deli (ugh) and got transferred to the bakery 2 weeks before the store opened. Had a crash course with them, and then did my first wedding cake in the first week. I was hooked! The fondant, etc is self taught.
I loved working at the large store- the fast pace, and they pay you whether you screw up or not! Invaluable experience, and I'll always be thankful for it.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 22

Self-taught. I have learned through Youtube mostly and this site.

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:24pm
post #12 of 22

Totally self taught, no lessons, no help from friends. Just me.

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:24pm
post #13 of 22

Other than taking Wilton I a decade ago, I'm self-taught.

colombean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colombean Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 9:31pm
post #14 of 22

I am a cakecentral-er. Lot's of reading on here and especially asking questions. You'd be surprised how helpful and full of information the people are on this website...

BillieH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:40pm
post #15 of 22

Thanks for all the wonderful replies! This site is amazing. icon_smile.gif

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:46pm
post #16 of 22

A couple of Wilton buttercream courses...and I don't even do buttercream cakes! All fondant/gumpaste is self-taught with lots of help from CC, books & youtube!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:53pm
post #17 of 22

Baking...I'm self taught all the way since the age of 12 (pre CC, youtube, and food network (we didn't have cable...just local broadcasting)). Decorating....self taught (starting at age 13), Wilton courses at Michael's, CC, and youtube. I still have a lot to learn (I took a long hiatus from decorating because of LIFE). Hopefully I'll have more cakes to do so that I can practice more icon_biggrin.gif

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:26pm
post #18 of 22

Took a couple of Wilton classes but got bored with it and stopped going. I've learned so much more from my friends here on CC. Thanks....alene

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:55pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish43

I took Wiltons beginner class after that first class everthing else was Self taught with videos, books and cable T.V.lol I still have a lot to learn.

Same here.

Took Wilton 1 in Oct. 2006 and it has snowballed from there. I've never had time to take any other classes.

Brookbourque Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookbourque Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:14pm
post #20 of 22

HI! I'm new here, well actually I've been lurking for quiet a few months, reading and learning everything that I can. I guess you could say I'm a hobbiest. I've never taken a class, have always wanted to but never had the time, with my full time job and family. Everything that I have learned has pretty much come from here. I LOVE this site! Well just wanted to say that. LOL

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:17pm
post #21 of 22

I took Michael classes, but since I found this web I read and read hoping to be able to make a new cake with all the tips I found here..I have bought books, Shraon's dvd's...you tube...

CookieSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieSue Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:40pm
post #22 of 22

Way back in the early '70s, I took a beginning and advanced Wilton class at Sears after disastrously trying to do it on my own. Once I got the basics AND a good frosting recipe, it was much easier. I also took several private sessions from my Sears teacher. I pretty much stayed at the same level for over 30 years as it was just a hobby. I discovered there was a cake club in my area and my enthusiasm and interest were rekindled after attending a couple of meetings and joining the club. It's great to be able to talk cake with other like-minded people! Now I even use fondant after being afraid of it for years!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%