Rolling Black Fondant

Decorating By Darthburn Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 6:04am by Darthburn

Darthburn Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 11

Seems like I have a ton of questions this week, and I don't know why. They keep popping up.

I'm making black fondant again... this is my 3rd time working with it. The first time it looked good, I rolled it on PS and didn't worry about the white.. I brushed it off. It looked alright and was covered by a lot of piping.
The second time I didn't want to deal with it so I airbrushed black. No rolling issues.
Now I'm on my third time and I wanting to use cocoa powder to roll it, but even that will leave some color.
I want a nice consistant black teir... how do you clean the black fondant off after rolling and covering the cake? Brush? Wipe with dry towel?

Thank you

10 replies
greengyrl26 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 11

I use a small steamer and go over it very lightly. Removes all of the PS residue and leaves a nice shiny finish!

icer101 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 11

sugarshack... c/cer ... cleans black fondant and all fondant with ... paper towel with some crisco on it.. she cleans it really good.. then she wipes with dry paper towel.. all of her cakes are beautiful.. she shows this in her dvd/s . all of her dvds are great.. hth

Cakepro Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 11

A steamer definitely works. Also, brushing the cake with either vodka and a soft paintbrush or with canola oil (spray Pam) or airbrushing the cake with vodka will also remove the residual cornstarch, powdered sugar, etc.

idgalpal Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 11

I brushed on lemon extract.

BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 11

I don't roll out any fondant on PS or CS---I find no benefit to the extra mess and steps that it requires.

I roll out on a smear of Crisco on a piece of vinyl or a silicone mat. I roll the fondant in one direction 3-4 times, pick it up & rotate it a quarter turn, roll again, and repeat this until it's the size I need.

I never turn the fondant piece over and I don't have any powder to clean up when I'm finished. I also put a smear of crisco on my rolling pin.

Peridot Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 11

I wish I knew the trick for rolling fondant on vinyl with Crisco. I cannot seem to get it to roll out. It is awlays a struggle. When I use CS I don't have a problem - it rolls out very nicely. I do not like PS! I do use Jennifer Dontz's fondant witht he white chocolate - maybe that's why I can't get it rolled out with the vinyl and Crisco as this fondant is very heavy and dense. It's like it doesn't want to move/spread out. I do hate the white mess but I don't know what else to do. BUT..I do love the finished product with her fondant. I also can never seem to get it to roll thin enough.

Cakepro Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 11

I rolled fondant out with Crisco exclusively for 10 years until I decided to try cornstarch...and I have never gone back to Crisco.

The fondant rolls out over the cornstarch effortlessly, which is exactly what I needed when I herniated a disk in my back and had horrendous sciatic pain. With the Crisco, there is more resistance on the fondant's part and it's more of an effort to roll it out. Plus, fondants that have a higher fat content (chocolate, white chocolate, etc) will have pitting if shortening gets kneaded into it.

It's just a matter of personal preference. icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 11

Sorry--I didn't see mention of using a chocolate based fondant.....

I have rolled Jennifer's recipe on vinyl with crisco and not had any problems, but with other chocolate based fondants--like Choco Pan or dark choco Satin Ice, it can be an issue.

Because the chocolate fondant (and modeling chocolate) is already "oily", it can be much stickier. If I use choco fondant straight--and I rarely do because I prefer to mix in 1/3 Wilton with 2/3 choco fondant to make it easier to work--I will roll it on some PS or CS.

I roll modeling chocolate accents by patting the piece with PS or CS on both sides. Once it's rolled out, there's little evidence of the powder on the piece.

For straight dark chocolate fondant, I have rolled on cocoa powder (I hate it), but if I mix it with pre-made black Satin Ice, I roll on criscoed vinyl with no problems.

I do think that the key to rolling on criscoed vinyl or silicone is the "roll it, rotate it, roll it, rotate it" process. If you roll in one direction and don't rotate the piece, the sugar in the fondant and the crisco will melt due to the constant friction of the rolling.

RobzC8kz Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:00am
post #10 of 11

I roll my colored fondant out on shortening. I used to use PS, but...ugh...what a pain! Since learning the shortening trick, I am much happier! And no PS all over the dang place! It helps that I have granite countertops and a big granite island in my kitchen too!!

Darthburn Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:04am
post #11 of 11

Crisco never has worked for me. Period. I was using P/S and had so many lumps and sticking I just about said to heck with it. Then someone mentioned cornstarch. I now use cornstarch 100%. And I ALWAYS roll and turn, roll and turn.

I found most of my problem got fixed there... before I learned to roll and turn I used to flip it constantly trying to keep it from sticking. But that coated both sides in PS. So no more flipping.

A few weeks ago I made brown fondant and used cocoa powder and it worked fairly well. But I don't really want to do it for black.

I also dont want shiny black. So I was hoping not to have to airbrush or Crisco wipe it.
I should probably mention it is MMF and when I say chocolate I mean I added some powder in to flavor it a little, but mostly to get it brown.

Quote by @%username% on %date%