Need Help With Cake Release Recipe Please !!!!!

Baking By obabassa Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 3:04pm by mama2_3

obabassa Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 15

I made some homemade cake release using the 1 cup of shortening, veg. oil and flour. I'm not sure what needs to be adjusted in the recipe. Maybe the flour???? I keep getting a hard crust on the outside of my cakes since i've been using it. If anyone knows what to do to fix this problem I would appreciate the help. Rather not go back to the expensive alternative of Wiltons cake release but I want the results it gives me.
Thanks for the help in advance.

14 replies
ddaigle Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 15

That's how I make it and I don't get a crust. Tell us exactly what brand of each you are using.

UpAt2am Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 15

i use homemade cake release as well and make sure to use a shortening with trans fat in it, oil, and flour. i beat the shortening w the oil til smooth, then add the flour a little bit at a time and never have issues w it. if your sides are getting crispy, you simply may be over baking. is your cake pulling from the sides while in the oven? if so, you're over baking probaby. HTH

Kris10joy Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 15

I've always used the Crisco spray with flour or Bakers Joy spray with flour. They work great icon_biggrin.gif Sorry can't help with your cake release icon_sad.gif

obabassa Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 15

I am using the Walmart (generic) brand for all items.
Not sure if over baking is the problem. I don't take it out until my center is done. I'm using baking strips and if 10in or over I use a baking core.
Thanks for replying. I would appreciate any advice you guys could give.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 15

Here's what we use in the bakeshop and it works perfectly.

Equal amounts by weight:
vegetable oil, solid all purpose shortening, and BREAD flour

Put in mixer bowl and blend on low speed until perfectly smooth (about 5 minutes). Store in an airtight container. Use by spreading a thin, even layer on pans with a pastry brush.

SpringFlour Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 15

I made the homemade release and it NEVER worked properly for me. I'm sticking to Wilton's or Baker's Joy.

obabassa Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 15

Has anyone tried just lining their pans with wax paper. Heard about that from a girl at a local bakery. Just wondering if anyone else has had any experience doing this?

icer101 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 7:41pm
post #9 of 15

i only line my pans with wax paper.. bottom only .. when i bake a chocolate cake.. i use bakers joy, wilton spray.. etc. put down the wax paper circle.. spray again litely... jennifer dontz . lines her whole pan.. sides and botton with wax paper. she shows this in her great dvds. hth i have never use the homemade release.. i also like ck products release.. wiltons spray and bottle of release is great too.

Trish43 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:09pm
post #10 of 15

What ever happen to the old method of floring a cake pan, just by applying some crisco shortening in your cake pan then add about tablespoon of two of flour and swirl pans until flour is coated around sides and bottom of pan. Pour out additonal flour. works great same thing as bakers joy you have everything already in a can. I use this method when i'm out of bakers joy or cake release.lol!!!

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:10pm
post #11 of 15

I use the homemade cake release AND the wax lining. Its 1/4 Cup Oil, 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour, 1 & 1/4 C. Shortening, I just throw it all in and mix with a wire wisk. Then I lather the bottom ONLY of the pan, then put a lining of wax paper in, and then I put the cake release on the wax paper. Never on the sides of the pan. HOWEVER, I just bought some Bakers Joy with Flour and have yet to use it, but a friend of mine who does cakes said this is the only thing she does and it works great. I was told about the homemade cake release in my class so I never tried anything before I started using it. So we'll see how it works. Although, for those of you who use Bakers Joy, do you only Spray the bottom, or the sides too? I'm not sure how to keep from having to use a knife to cut my cake away from the sides of the pan or if thats even possible icon_smile.gif And if you do spray the sides does your cake dome really bad on top?

Trish43 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:15pm
post #12 of 15

I spray the sides and bottom of cake pans when i use baker's joy.

momtofourmonkeys Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 8:28pm
post #13 of 15

I use parchment paper on the bottom of all my pans then use a nonstick spray on the parchment and sides of the pan. Never had a problem.

Debi2 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:39pm
post #14 of 15

I prep my pans the same exact way as momtofourmonkeys. Good Luck!

mama2_3 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:04pm
post #15 of 15

Sounds like you may have too much oil and it is "frying" the bottom of your cakes. Try using less oil in the recipe. I have seen the recipe with only 3/4c oil and I'm pretty sure my recipe (gotten from a youtube baker) uses only 1/2 cup of oil to 1c of each of the other two ingredients. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%