Mini 3"x3" Cakes Plus A Faux 3 Tier Cake

Decorating By mhicks Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 4:33pm by mhicks

mhicks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhicks Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 8

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering what you would charge for 65- 3"x3" cakes?? My clients are also looking to have a faux 3 tier cake too!

Also, has anyone worked with edible diamonds? Any tips or ideas? I searched for suppliers and I find they are very expensive!

Thanks for your help!

7 replies
aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 8

hi-i dont know about charging. but i have used edible diamonds. i got them from globalsugarart they were reasonably priced.
they also have other types of edible gems that are colored.
HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 8

3x3 serves about 4 people? Are these centerpiece cakes, that will be on a table with only 4 people per table? (hate to see them try to divide this up amongst the standard 8-per-table.) Or is she giving a cake to each person?

Here's a similar thread with some add'l info: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-663818.html

Smaller cakes are more work. 65 cakes that serve 4 people = 260 servings. I can make a 260 serving cake in 5 tiers .. that's 10 pans to prep, bake and wash. 65 3" cakes are 65 pans to prep, bake and wash. My 5 tier cake will use 5 cardboards. Your 65 cakes will use 65 cardboards and boxes.

My rule of thumb: 1/4 the size means 4 times the price.

Styro's or fake cakes are not close to free, like many brides think. Here's my blog article that explains why: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/fake%20cake

If were to take this order .....

260 servings x my $3.50/BC serving price = $910 plus the added PITA/labor/materials/setup fee of $390 = $1300. Delivery would be extra, depending on the location.

a 3-tier fake cake ... 6/8/10 round, serves 74 x $3.50/serving = $259 x 80% = $207 + 1300 = $1507.

Or she could have a grand 5 tier cake for $910.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 8

Mini cakes are a pain in the tush... a severe pain in the tush. Icing them is a bitch and then you have to box them all up... mini boards... having to transport them all. I start them at $20 each. A faux cake costs just about as much to make and takes just as long to decorate as a real one, so they cost just about as much as a real cake. I give a 15% discount because I don't have to wait for it to bake. I am a home baker and I have but one little oven so this is a big chunk of time saved for me. So for a 3 tiered faux cake and 65 minis... she'd be looking at a good chunk of change.

edited to say... yeah... exactly what Debi said.

mhicks Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for everyones replies!! I do agree, that the mini cakes will be alot more time and more $$ on there part!

Debi to answer your questions: 3X3 cakes I believe are per person, which I thought was ALOT per person. I actually had to draw a 3x3 square on paper to actaully picture the size!! WOW!

I also noticed, you have an 80% added to your calculations... is this your profit??

Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

3x3 serves about 4 people? Are these centerpiece cakes, that will be on a table with only 4 people per table? (hate to see them try to divide this up amongst the standard 8-per-table.) Or is she giving a cake to each person?

Here's a similar thread with some add'l info: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-663818.html

Smaller cakes are more work. 65 cakes that serve 4 people = 260 servings. I can make a 260 serving cake in 5 tiers .. that's 10 pans to prep, bake and wash. 65 3" cakes are 65 pans to prep, bake and wash. My 5 tier cake will use 5 cardboards. Your 65 cakes will use 65 cardboards and boxes.

My rule of thumb: 1/4 the size means 4 times the price.

Styro's or fake cakes are not close to free, like many brides think. Here's my blog article that explains why: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/fake%20cake

If were to take this order .....

260 servings x my $3.50/BC serving price = $910 plus the added PITA/labor/materials/setup fee of $390 = $1300. Delivery would be extra, depending on the location.

a 3-tier fake cake ... 6/8/10 round, serves 74 x $3.50/serving = $259 x 80% = $207 + 1300 = $1507.

Or she could have a grand 5 tier cake for $910.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburke

I also noticed, you have an 80% added to your calculations... is this your profit??
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

No, I give a 20% discount for styro's.....so I am only charging them 80% of the full price.

Full price would be $259.
After the 20% discount, the price is $207.

mhicks Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 8

I understand! Thanks again!!

mhicks Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you for everyones advice! I came up with a price of just over $1000; including the 3 tier cake. I used my Cake Boss program; which I love!!! So it calculated each 3"individual cake for just under $13each.

I sent the client my quotes, and he replied and said my quotes where more then his other sources! So his loss, not mine.. I would love the business but not the stress!! So good luck to "the other source" for quoting probably less then $13 each!!!

Thanks again for everyones help; I must use this forum alot more!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%