Pan Sizes??

Decorating By lardbutt Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 6:17am by lardbutt

lardbutt Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 7

Can someone please help me determine what sizes these tiers are? I guessing the bottom one is 12x12?

Thanks, Sherri

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.palateofparadise.com%252Fi%252F%252FDots_and_Bows.JPG&h=177abda1068b04b82ba07cf29ada2d45&ref=nf

6 replies
LateBloomer Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 7

My guess is 12,10 and 8. I keep a few dummies in the cupboard and sometimes use them and even cake tins and boxes to determine size.

indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 7

I think the top looks like a 6"; I'd guess the bottom to be a 12", but the middle one is throwing me.

What makes it hard is that a 6/8/10 or 8/10/12 wont' fit on top of each other in a diamond-square-diamond pattern (the corners will overhand the edges), but with these not being a perfect D-S-D pattern, it's throwing me.

How many servings do you need? Once you determine that and know what size pans you need, stack them in the formation you're going to use to make sure they fit.

For example, a 10" square is 10" from side to side but it's about 14" from corner to corner. So if you sat a 10" cake on a 12" cake in a diamond-square pattern, the 10" cake corners would hang over the 12" cake by an inch on each corner.

lardbutt Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:21am
post #4 of 7

I got my pans out, but I don't have a 6". I was thinking the top was 6" too. If the middle were 10 ", I don't think there would be enough room for that bow. However, an 8" would leave too much room.

The bride wants this look so she is not really concerned with the amount. She only NEEDS about 110. We had just about settled on 12 square, 8 round and 6 square and she was alright with those numbers.

Debi, while your here, LOL, I have never charged for a fondant ribbon around the tiers. Any thoughts on that? I know things are different in different areas, but I was just wondering?

lardbutt Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:26am
post #5 of 7

You know what?

I just counted the dots on each tier....I wonder if they are 1" apart? If so, by my count, the tiers would be 10/7/5.....could this be??

indydebi Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:27am
post #6 of 7

I don't have my pans handy but sit your 6" square pan on top of the 8" round to make sure you don't have any overhand. I think if it fits, it will be a tight fit.

While I'm not a person who likes nickel-and-diming a bride, with my few attempts at fondant ribbon, I have learned it is WAY more work than using regular ribbon dunce.gif and my rule is "if it costs me money (i.e. labor) then it costs YOU money", so yes I would charge extra for the fondant ribbon. I charged between $0.25 to $0.50 per serving, depending on how involved the fondant decor would be.

lardbutt Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:17am
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much that really helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%