Fat Daddio's Piping Bags + Wilton Tips Ain't Working!

Decorating By BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Updated 4 Jan 2010 , 5:20am by Jeep_girl816

BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 3:34am
post #1 of 5

So I am not piping expert , and would love to get better at it- so i invested in a Wilton tip kit ( like 50+ tips and some flower nails and some couplers) and also got some reusable Fat Daddio's piping bags.
trouble is, the bags seem too stiff and thick , and well, they ain't working with the couplers/tips! the couplers wont even catch the threads from on the opposite side. icon_confused.gif
either I am seriously more braindead than I thought, or these bags ain't working for anybody trying to use wilton tips.....
so any suggestions?

I am trying to stay away from the disposible type bags while I am trying to just practice.... (plus reusable is slightly more eco friendly)

4 replies
JanJess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanJess Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:01am
post #2 of 5

I totally know what you mean about the bags. They make them so stiff so that they'll last longer. You just have to cut the end so the coupler sticks out some and put the tip on and push down while turning the coupler top. It won't be easy the first couple of times. Once the bags get used some, they'll break in. You'll get the hang of it. Just practice thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:53am
post #3 of 5

I haven't tried the FD bags, but I love the Wilton Featherweight bags--NOT the vinyl ones (they're hideous). They last forever and are easy to wash.

I've bought lots of mixed sizes off of Ebay and they should last me another 20 years, or so.

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-wilton-cake-decorating-bags-featherweight-assorted_W0QQitemZ150402488464QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2304afd890

HTH
Rae

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:09am
post #4 of 5

not sure about all these types of piping bags but i buy the plastic disposable ones you mentioned which i find good but i don't throw them away after one use, i just make sure i give them a good wash after each use and re-use them again and they are fine!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:20am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I haven't tried the FD bags, but I love the Wilton Featherweight bags--NOT the vinyl ones (they're hideous). They last forever and are easy to wash.

I've bought lots of mixed sizes off of Ebay and they should last me another 20 years, or so.

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-wilton-cake-decorating-bags-featherweight-assorted_W0QQitemZ150402488464QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2304afd890

HTH
Rae

Totally agree about the vinyl. Who came up with those?? Wilton never ceases to amaze me me. Somethings are great(like the featherweights and some of the pans; ball, wonder etc) and others just plain suck. I try to order better stuff when I can but sometimes it's just not convenient so sadly, most of the time I'm at their mercy icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%