Tips

Decorating By woohoo Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 6:00am by Mrs-A

woohoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woohoo Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:47am
post #1 of 12

I just had a friend ask me if she is supposed to tip the lady who is doing her son's birthday cake. I live in a VERY rural area and have never received a tip for one of my cakes, but she lives in the Washington, D.C. area. I didn't know what to tell her. Any suggestions?

11 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:52am
post #2 of 12

No, tipping is not required.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:53am
post #3 of 12

hello and welcome to CC! ive always thought of a tip for anything as a personal decision. if she really likes the cake and feels like tipping why not?
IMO its always a matter of personal choice. i dont think anyone should ever feel obligated to tip.
im sure this post will get alot of responses.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 3:12am
post #4 of 12

Required, not at all tipping is just thanking someone for a well done service, nothing wrong with it. IMO

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 12

I wouldn't recommend tipping the baker... if you're going to give them a shove make it hard enough to topple them completely over so you can run away.

Furthermore, I don't recommend tipping the cake or it could fall and ruin it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 12

It's considered improper etiquette to tip the owner of a business. (I never took any part of the tips we were given ... I always divided up among my staff.)

Tipping is always an optional thing, to me. A tip is "a monetary thanks for service above and beyond what was paid for." That's why I find it arrogant to charge a tip up front, like many caterers do. If someone wants to render a monetary thanks for above-and-beyond service, I don't see a problem with accepting that.

But to me, if I order a cake and pay for delivery, I'm not tipping if I got my cake delivered, as contracted.

Now if it was last minute, if she squeezed me in, if she delivered it in a snowstorm, if delivery wasn't part of her service but she brought it by anyway, then that is above and beyond what was paid for and I'd render a tip.

colombean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colombean Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthburn

I wouldn't recommend tipping the baker... if you're going to give them a shove make it hard enough to topple them completely over so you can run away.

lol

I wouldn't expect a tip. or to tip. Maybe the driver who is delivering the cake, but what, like $5-$10 for getting there on time and delivering it safely?...

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 1:07am
post #8 of 12

I am from Las Vegas and used to be a dental assistant. I received tips from time to time, lol icon_rolleyes.gif

I don't think tipping your cake decorator is necessary, but if she wants to tip, why not? I think tipping is always nice thumbs_up.gif

woohoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woohoo Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:08am
post #9 of 12

I'm so impressed with all the responses so quickly! This was my first time to ever use the forum, and I greatly appreciate everyone's input. It is all very helpful, useful information. Thank you for your answers and insight!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:21am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthburn

Cake tipping, I've heard of that,it's a lot like cow tipping but instead of an angry farmer chasing you with a shotgun you get a ticked off bride flinging shrimp cocktails at you, equally as fun in my book.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:40am
post #11 of 12

You know... I never thought about the bride! Cripes I think I'd rather take my chances with a farmer and shotgun!

For the record, if she throws a shrimp and me I absolutely guarantee it will not touch the floor! *burp*

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:00am
post #12 of 12

im an aussie so we dont tip but if your friend is happy with the cake then i suggest she gets a dozen or so cards and hand them out and and if the baker has a website, leave a positive review

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%