Laptop Cake

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 11:09pm by Cakeonista

Kitagrl Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:19am
post #1 of 19

What is the most secure way to make a laptop screen on a cake?

I was thinking about using cardboard covered in fondant and letting it dry a couple days, and then making a pretty thick cake drum out of multiple cake boards and then somehow skewering the screen to the board through the cake but I was hoping maybe someone else had a more secure way to do it.

Thanks!

18 replies
Cakeonista Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:40am
post #2 of 19

I also have a laptop cake to make in a few weeks and I'm going to make my lid/screen out of foam and cakeboard. I plan on using a regular printed picture since the lid will not be edible anyway, even though I do have an edible printer seems a waste to use frosting sheets on this. As far as attaching it O will use royal icing and dowels in through the back and bottom portion. Hope this works for me and hope I explained it clear enough for you.

Kitagrl Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:58am
post #3 of 19

Ooooh thin foamcore is a great idea.....are you going to cover it in fondant? I thought about a real printed paper thing but I'm not super cool about using no much non-edibles on the cake...thinking about doing it by hand but we'll see....

Maybe I'll order an edible image.

Cakeonista Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 3:09am
post #4 of 19

Yes, I plan on covering my lid to match the bottom a light gray and I would love to have 100% cake but I dont think a cake lid would be very sturdy. So I'm going with the foamcore and the printed pic, they will have to remove this whole piece at some point anyway. What do you think?

punkyf Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 3:21am
post #5 of 19

I'm getting ready to do a laptop cake too. I agree with the foamcore idea. I also like for everything to be edible on my cakes but for this one I'm going to get the picture I want to use and laminate it so it looks shiny (sp)?. I'm going to put the pic on the foamboard and then put the fondant around it. Not sure how I'm going to attach it to the cake yet. Still thinking about that.

Kitagrl Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 3:24am
post #6 of 19

I just went online and ordered an edible image....I don't mind something unedible internally but I don't like having paper right on the cake for some reason. I guess its just me.

I used to have a printer myself but too hard to keep it up, didn't use it enough.

Anyway I think if I have a nice thick cake base and then put skewers into the foam core, I can stick it down through the cake and board and then add some royal for extra strength. I hope!

Cakeonista Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:48am
post #7 of 19

The image is not going to be on the cake kitagrl, its actually on the lid of the laptop which is the foamcore. I think spending on an edible image for that is a waste, you cannot eat it anyway. Did I explain my idea correctly?

Kitagrl Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:51am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariu

The image is not going to be on the cake kitagrl, its actually on the lid of the laptop which is the foamcore. I think spending on an edible image for that is a waste, you cannot eat it anyway. Did I explain my idea correctly?

Oh yes I perfectly understood...I just personally do not prefer to use a regular piece of paper but I mentioned it was just my personal preference. I always like to use edible when I can....I can't make the lid sturdy and edible both, but I can use all edible decorations at least.

Cakeonista Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:07am
post #9 of 19

Oh ok just wasn't sure if I had explained myself. Post pictures can't wait to see it.

Cakeonista Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:09am
post #10 of 19

BTW Punkyf laminated picture sounds like a great idea, the screen usually does have that shiny look to it. Do you think the laminated picture will adhere with bc or royal icing?

tguegirl Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:29am
post #11 of 19

You could also try melted chocolate (melted candy wafers) to adhere the screen. Chocolate is ultra-strong!

punkyf Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:51am
post #12 of 19

I think the melted chocolate that tguegirl mentioned is what I will try. I'm thinking that if you attach the picture with the melted chocolate to the foamboard and then put your fondant on the board overlapping the picture a little, then the picture won't be able to fall off. I think that this is what I will try. Hope I'm making this clear. Royal icing would not work, I don't think, because the laminated picture will be slick and the royal icing will fall off when dry.

Cakeonista Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 5:11am
post #13 of 19

Melted chocolate is a perfect idea thanks tgue, more options always makes a cake a little easier. Can't wait to see them.

icingimages Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:51am
post #14 of 19

What about using rice crispy for the lid and covering with fondant???? Just a thought. Then the icing images wouldnt be a waste of money as everything can be eaten?

Kitagrl Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:54am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

What about using rice crispy for the lid and covering with fondant???? Just a thought. Then the icing images wouldnt be a waste of money as everything can be eaten?

I don't think RKT would stay sturdy since the lid has to be pretty thin.

brgrassmyer Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:16am
post #16 of 19

Funny how these topics pop up. I just posted to another laptop post. I used foam board as the lid and used a piece of acetate (in the scrapbook section) as my "screen" and I just used a regular photo. I will post my pic again. HTH
LL

Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:44am
post #17 of 19

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just finished my cake...will photo it tomorrow...WOW it was way harder than I expected. YUCK.

Not happy with it at all. Oh well.

Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 10:17pm
post #18 of 19

Okay I did upload my laptop cake in my pix...lady picked it up a rude hour late...Saw the cake and didn't seem overly impressed... she was like "Oh that's cute." Then she said "You know, I just realized I don't even know if your cakes taste good...do you happen to have any samples or anything?" I'm like "Uhhh not on me, no." (Good grief.)

She pulls out the biggest wad of money I've seen in a long time and asked if I had change...no I did not...she was scraping through everything trying to find a low enough bill to give me the money...she scraped up to about $5 short and acted like she was hoping I'd accept that. I suggested strongly she just give me another $20 and I would immediately go in and refund her change through the Paypal deposit she had made earlier in the week. So finally she did that.

icon_rolleyes.gif

I just hope I don't hear any complaints or anything back from her. I'm done!

Cakeonista Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 11:09pm
post #19 of 19

Brgrassmyer your cake came out great also. How did you get the back to stay ip and what did you use for it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%