Help - Wedding Cake Decorating Tips !!!!!!!!

Decorating By Mickeysmonkey Updated 4 Jan 2010 , 1:30pm by Deb_

Mickeysmonkey Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:08am
post #1 of 6

Hey,

I am debating on baking my own wedding cake and would really appreciate some tips on decorating it, I want something simple yet elegant and would really appreciate some advise icon_smile.gif

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
JanH Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:10am
post #2 of 6

..moving to Ideas forum.

Hi and Welcome to CC, Mickeysmonkey. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more.

Here's a link to a do-it-yourself article on making your own wedding cake:
(There are also pages of comments on the article.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-98621-.html

HTH

edited to add the Cheap Bride thread.

aundrea Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:15am
post #3 of 6

hello and welcome to CC!

im sure if you search galleries you will get alot of great ideas and maybe you could PM the person and ask specific questions.even posting here you will get a full aray of responses!

good luck and congratulations on your upcoming wedding. just be careful not to over extend yourself - a bride has alot to do besides adding the extra pressure of making her wedding cake. and it also depends on your skill level.

luvmysmoother Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:20am
post #4 of 6

If you are considering making your own cake it's a good idea to practice on friends and family a few times before you make your own and gradually making bigger and bigger sizes as well. If you are still stoked to do it - you might want to freeze the cakes beforehand because it will save you some time. Very brave of you to consider it though. Every bride to be that I know of has gone bananas organizing their wedding and would never in a million years dream of making their own cake on top of everything else - very best wishes on your engagement and best of luck if you go through with baking your wedding cakeicon_smile.gif

egensinnig Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 10:59am
post #5 of 6

Since i didn't have the time to make my own cake I ordered an undecorated plain fondant cake and then added my own fondant flowers, lettering, butterflies and dragonflies that I made ahead of time. That way I could enjoy the creative part but didn't have to stress with the whole baking, planning, stacking etc.

I actually got lumbago on my big day so I could only lie on my stomach on the floor and boss people around. A friend came over and put the decorations on the cakes according to my sketches.

I don't remember a thing from the church because I was in so much pain I was close to fainting all the time...........................But I did get married icon_biggrin.gif

So my advice is - make things as easy and simple as you can for your self on the big day and the days before. You will have enough stress without an elaborate and timeconsuming cake assembly/decoration. Good luck!!!

Deb_ Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 6

Just some thoughts for you.....

Besides owning a small home custom cake business I also own a Hair Salon/Spa.

When the "big day" arrives, most brides spend the morning getting their hair, nails and make-up done with their bridesmaids. Would you have someone available to deliver and set up the cake while you were getting ready for the wedding?

I don't want to discourage you from making your own wedding cake, but it's a very busy time for you to begin with never mind adding the cake making to the mix.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%