Transporting Bc Cakes

Decorating By ShopGrl1128 Updated 4 Jan 2010 , 2:49am by JustToEatCake

ShopGrl1128 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 5

Hello Friends:

I was checking out this website http://gcdesignercakes.com/ and wondering how these huge BC cakes are transported.

I gave up on BC when I tried to deliver a small 2 tier cake (in a hot June day) and the vibrations of the care ride made the BC slided off the bottom tier, I managed to fix it when I got to the venue but I swore never deliver BC cakes again.

I've been doing cakes for about 3 years now and 99% of my cakes are fondant, I only do 1 or 2 tier BC cakes and I keep them refrigerated until the customer picks up.
I also use SPS on my 3 tier up cakes.

How can I overcome this fear? do I need to refrigerate the whole cake before transporting it? or am I missing something?

TIA

4 replies
leah_s Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 5

hmmm. I use SPS for every cake, every time. I do mostly bc with a few fondant embellishments. I never, ever refrigerate a cake. The summer temps here are in the 90 degree range with 90 % humidity. Nothing ever slides. I use a variation of the Whipped Cream Buttercream recipe in the recipe section. It's heat and humidity stable.

Mencked Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 5

What Leah said...I use an all shortening BC kind of a wilton and sugarshack's BC recipe cross that is amazingly stable. I travel over at least 7 miles of horrible, bumpy, nasty dirt roads for every delivery sometimes in 100+ heat and have never had a sliding BC problem...SPS is also a necessity.

ShopGrl1128 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 12:08am
post #4 of 5

Thank you ladies.
I use a very stable BC, is a store bought brand that I purchase at a restaurant supply store.
Maybe I'm just traumatized for my previous experience.

I will give it another try.

JustToEatCake Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:49am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

hmmm. I use SPS for every cake, every time. I do mostly bc with a few fondant embellishments. I never, ever refrigerate a cake. The summer temps here are in the 90 degree range with 90 % humidity. Nothing ever slides. I use a variation of the Whipped Cream Buttercream recipe in the recipe section. It's heat and humidity stable.

Leah, care to share your variation? I LOVE IMBC but I don't have enough fridge space to keep it in there all the time...I'm a hobby baker btw.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%