Viva Vs Melvira For Butter Cream Wowee

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 4 Jan 2010 , 2:24am by Cristi-Tutty

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 16

I just tried the Melvira method, and finally got the correct roller and I can't believe the smoothness so quickly! It takes so much time with paper towel and this was zip zip zip smooth as glass wow!!!!

15 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 16

Welcome to the club icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I find myself looking for reasons to make a cake so I can use my roller again and again...after so many years of messy looking buttercream or covering everything with fondant, it's great to finally be able to do it right. And I'm glad Melvira shared with us too icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 16

I had tried quuite a while back, but had the wrong roller. I went to Loews and got the right thing and I am blown away with this thing. Your right I am thinking if my hubby would kill me if I made another cake hahaha...have to break out the dummies I suppose icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 16

I'd be lost w/o my paint roller. Mine used to be white, but the red bc has stained it pink. It's my dirty-little-secret that I don't tell people in my area about.

THEM: How do you get your icing so smooth?
ME: Practice, Practice, Practice.

icon_lol.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 16

Hmmm, I'll have to give this a try. Are you talking about the little foam roller that's rounded on the end? The Viva method rocked my world when I saw it! But hey, BC is never toooooo smooth! Thanks!

madgeowens Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 16

Go to Loews and ask for a high density roller.......they are thin little rollers i got the 6 incher so it will cover my sides icon_smile.gif

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 16

the name of the roller is called 'high density' and do you use anything between the roller and buttercreme?
ive been trying to get my buttercreme smooth i would like to try this method.
TIA

madgeowens Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 16

nope just roll it after it crusts and its like magic....I cannot wait to do my next cake icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 12:30am
post #9 of 16

I have not done a cake for on here yet, but just wait until I post my next cake woohoo it will be smooth baby....I tried it on a single layer I had left over from bear cake, and I was like holy wizzardry look at this smooth out wow...I am psyched

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 12:52am
post #10 of 16

i will definately have to check this method out.
whats a good buttercreme?? i have tried both sugarshack and indydebi BC - but i would like to try another firm, crusting great tasting BC.

digital Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
digital Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 12:53am
post #11 of 16

What type of icing works best with the Melvira method? Would it be SMBC / IMBC or Shortening base icing?

Thanks!

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:16am
post #12 of 16

Hope this isn't a dumb question...are the high density rollers food safe and how do we know this?

madgeowens Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:41am
post #13 of 16

you should ask all these technical questions of Melvira

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:49am
post #14 of 16

They use the same rollers for basting and other things on the Food Network. I do know that you need to wash the roller before you use it, and between each use. Mix some soap with a little water in your hand and then apply it to the roller. If you squirt soap right on the roller you'll be washing it for an hour trying to get it all out.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:01am
post #15 of 16

I think if you are worried about food safety with this you could always put a piece of VIVA paper towel between the roller and your cake.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 2:24am
post #16 of 16

could you tell me what is the brand of the roller?

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%