Wet On Wet

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 4 Jan 2010 , 3:47pm by drakegore

motherofgrace Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 6

I was wondering how to do the wet on wet technique with RI. Especially with using dark and light colours (like red and white, and black anf white)

5 replies
indydebi Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not too sure what you're asking but I flooded the cookie with a base color, then picked up another decorating bag with another color and put the decors on. THe 2 colors blended into each other for a unique look.

The purple cookie in this pic was done wet on wet. The front christmas tree had the white garland put on as wet on wet but the orange garland was put on when the base was dry. Jsut some comparisons on how mine turned out: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1279485

cookiemookie Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 6

The most important thing is to keep the consistency the same in whatever colors you use. Otherwise if it is just slightly thicker you will end up with dimples because it will sink slightly as it dries!( the dotted onesie in my photos)

motherofgrace Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 12:25am
post #4 of 6

ok, i just am having problems when I do a red backrounf and put white dots. the red bleeds into the white.

cindy58 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 6
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

ok, i just am having problems when I do a red backrounf and put white dots. the red bleeds into the white.

It's supposed to help with the color bleeding if you make your deep colored icing a day or so ahead of time.

drakegore Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 6

some colors tend to bleed more, red being one of them.

i use glace instead of RI but i struggle with the bleeding problem too.
i agree with cookiemookie about same consistency. i used to think making it thicker would stop the bleeding, but i get much better results with same consistency.

one of the things that i do that helps me is too NOT put the design into the flood immediately. i wait about 2 minutes;, this allows the icing to become a little more viscous instead of fluid. so when i drop my design in, it tends to bleed less. however, the trick is to find the right timing because if you wait to long, the design doesn't merge with the flood nicely. i don't know if this will work for RI, but it might be worth a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%