Need Help With A Name

Business By Danielle1218 Updated 5 Jan 2010 , 12:47am by motherofgrace

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 13

I have been putting this off for a while. I really need to come up with a name for my cake decorating hobby. I want to get some business cards made up and it is time for me to decide on a name. Thought best to ask all the great people of CC.

I have toyed with:

Great Gateaux

That Takes the Cake

That's a Piece of Cake

I really like "Layers of ________", but I can't think what to put in there. I don't like Love either....sounds corny.

Anybody have some ideas??? Thanks.

12 replies
this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 13

Have you checked with your county first, to see if it's legal to sell home-baked cakes?

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586218.html

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 13

maybe instead of "that's a piece of cake" maybe just "piece of cake!"

Also for the layers one... whats your favorite colours, fillings, sayings.... things like that. Cuz you could do maybe "layers of fun" (haha ok thats bad but an idea"

HTH

totallycaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
totallycaked Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 13

When I first started, I knew that one day I wanted to have a business. So I wanted a name that would grow with me. It was harder than anyone thought. You would want to make sure that there is not a business with that name already.. first... if it is a established business, you may be sued, if it is a business with a bad rep.. you do not want anyone thinking that is you. I knew that I wanted a website and a email. I checked at one.com and godaddy.com to run the names to see who had websites. You will be amazed by how many are taken. Seriously, we went through hundreds of names till I found one that the web was avail. I also went to a email server like yahoo to see if I could get a email with my co name. I have some very creative friends and everything I mean everything they said was already taken. My name came out of a joke of being so tired of working on a name my husband said I was baked.. from stressing over it.. I said totally and then we said Totally Caked... I check godaddy and bought the .com.... although there is nothing there because I am just a hobbiest.. but If Idid want to open a business I own it... and then I went to yahoo and got [email protected].... so long story short. Please check with your local level of business, then do some internet searching to see if there are other business out there. Get your name registered asap as a business so no one can use your name. Buy the web domain whether you need it now or not. I am really bad at computers, I am more of a creative thinker.. I hope this helps and good luck to you!

ButtercupMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercupMama Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 13

I wouldn't go with anything that sounds too cliche or common, cuz it's just been done too many times, and like one of the girls said, if you take it to the next level, it can be very difficult to change.
For many years, I baked for friends, family, and so on, and as my hobby/business grew, I had some cards printed up for reference that had my name, and said Cake Designer underneath, with my phone number. It was just enough for people to keep as reference. I began using a company name the moment I became legal, which was not for many years. It helped me separate my hobby decorating from my business starting up. So that's an idea.
Business names are tough, but fun to ponder. You'll know when you've got a good one; keep playing...

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 13

How about "Layers of Course"?

Kind of a play on words, with dessert being the final course of the meal.

Don't know...just the first thought that came to mind.

What are some other things you are interested in? Somethings about your area? Rd. name? Other hobbies? Children? Do this from home?

Things like that....at least brainstorming like that is what gets my creative juices going.

Danielle1218 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 13

I was really just looking for people to throw ideas at me.

Some people on here have been so helpful to others who needed ideas.

motherofgrace Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 13

yes, I think we just need more information lol throw some things about yourself at us, and maybe we could help more icon_smile.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 13

As soon as I saw your name (screen name) I thought of Dani's Delights.

motherofgrace Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 13

oh that does sound nice!

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:27am
post #11 of 13

Just going off what little I know about you from your username, location and photos, I thought about "Upstate Cake" or "Upstate Cupcake."

Layers of Sweetness

Do you have a specialty?

Danielle1218 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:41am
post #12 of 13

Oh...I like layers of sweetness. I do think my specialty is my fillings. I try to do something a little more than just buttercream in between my layers.

I live in Northern New York (Where it SNOWS SNOWS SNOWS all the time)

I am also a teacher and coach.

I was just trying to think of something kinda catchy....ya know how people can come up with clever names such as by taking the name of a tv show or song and tweaking it a little to make it more personal.

Like I thought "Tiers of Joy" was cute....

Do you get my idea where I am trying to go????

Thanks for your comments!!

motherofgrace Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 12:47am
post #13 of 13

oh i like that too tiers of joy!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%