What Size Diamond Impression Mat Looks Best For Smaller Cake

Decorating By mcmurray20 Updated 3 Jan 2010 , 6:57pm by artscallion

mcmurray20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcmurray20 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 4

i was thinking the smallest which is 1 inch.. theres also 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 but not sure never used one before any suggestions for a 6, 8 10inch tier? what would look best with dragees in between

3 replies
mcmurray20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcmurray20 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 4

oops forgot to ask also.. what size mm dragees look best with it? i dont want them too big or too small theres soo many sizes thanks!!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 4

I did this wedding cake a few weeks ago. The 6 and 14 inch were quilted with a 1 1/2 inch impression mat. I used a 2 inch on the 10 inch tier. It'll give you some idea of how they look.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1537312

I used 4mm black dragees on the cakes, but only because I couldn't find black in any other size. 4mm are hard to put on. You have to use tweezers. I think 6mm are much easier to deal with. I used a dot of piping gel to help hold them on.

Jodie

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 4

I dislike impression mats for any kind of geometric patterns because the act of forming the fondant to the cake almost always distorts the pattern. This is okay with florals and other patterns that don't need to look perfectly aligned. But with the diamond pattern, I prefer to use a method that applies the pattern AFTER the fondant is in place on the cake.

For cake tops, I print out a diamond pattern on tracing paper, lay it on the cake top and us a bench scraper to mark the pattern into the fondant. For the sides of a cake, I use Pinkziab's method, described here. It allows you to make any size you want for any size cake.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6401686-.html#6401686

The first method was used on the tops of the hatbox cakes in my pics. Pikziab's method was used on the gold cake (4th down) in my pics.

I tend to use 4mm dragees for quilting. They are more difficult to put on, but I think they look nicer. I attach mine with a dab of "glue" (equal parts meringue powder and water.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%