Question About Cricut And Licensed Characters

Decorating By myheartbaby Updated 3 Jan 2010 , 2:14am by myheartbaby

myheartbaby Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 1:15am
post #1 of 5

I haven't played around with the Cricut for cakes yet but have used it a lot for scrapbooking. The Cricut has so many cute Disney cartridges that I can see a ton of possibilities. I am just wondering what the rules are for doing a Licensed character cutout from the Cricut and then put on a cake to be sold. Is this legal? I am guessing probably not but just thought I would ask here.

4 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 1:27am
post #2 of 5

I would think it is not allowed. If you make Mickey Mouse and put him in your scrapbook, that would be ok but once you sell him, you are infringing on copyright. Same with using the cricut with caking.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 1:55am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by myheartbaby

I haven't played around with the Cricut for cakes yet but have used it a lot for scrapbooking. The Cricut has so many cute Disney cartridges that I can see a ton of possibilities. I am just wondering what the rules are for doing a Licensed character cutout from the Cricut and then put on a cake to be sold. Is this legal? I am guessing probably not but just thought I would ask here.

Yes it is illegal. Cricut, character pans, etc., are licensed to you when you purchase them for your own personal use...that means your immediately family. TECHNICALLY, you really can't even make stuff and give it away with a licensed character. But for certain, you cannot sell it.

BlakesCakes Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 1:58am
post #4 of 5

Licensed characters made with the Cricut are for your own use and not for sale--same as with the Wilton licensed pans.

If you choose to sell items made with the licensed characters, you open yourself up to, at a minimum, having to pay $$$$ to defend yourself against the copyright holder who chooses to come after you.

Rae

myheartbaby Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 2:14am
post #5 of 5

That is what I thought and I have been warned about the copyright thing since I first started decorating cakes years ago. I just wasn't totally sure as I have seen several people that sell scrapbook pages with Disney characters on them and didn't know with the Cricut if there was a different policy.

Thanks. The penalty fees are so not worth it, I just wanted to know for sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%