Cake Dummies

Decorating By ohayr639 Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 3:43am by ohayr639

ohayr639 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 12

So I have cake dummies on order mainly so I can practice without having to bake the cakes, although I can always find someone to eat them. My question is how do I use them so that I can use them more than once? I do not have a store, nor do I have people beating my door down for cakes so I do not need them to show people I just wanted to practice some techniques and use the new toys I bought! I want to be able to take pictures of them and move on and try something new. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

11 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 12

If you are using buttercream, just ice up the dummy like you would a regular cake. When finished, scrape it off and wash the dummy (some people wrap in saranwrap - I don't). If you are covering with fonant, just give it a good coating with criso - some people use piping gel, but I find with the crisco I can take off the fondant easier if I want to redo. I've had fondant dummies for over a year and the fondant comes off with a little encouragement.

The dummy is lighter than a cake so it can be a bit challenging - I use the 'CakeWheel' that has prongs in it for dummies; but you can make your own contraption by putting some nails in a plywood board and placing your dummy on the nails.

Mensch Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 12

I cover all my dummies with fondant (thinned royal under). I display in my bakery. When I get tired of them I put them in a sink with hot water and the fondant peels off in big pieces. I then wash them good and let them dry thoroughly.

I bought a styrofoam cutter at the hardware store and make all my own.

lyndim Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the info. I too bought cake dummies to practice on, and was wondering about how to re-use them. icon_smile.gif

ohayr639 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you all so much! I am getting so excited to practice!

HarleyDee Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 2:07am
post #6 of 12

I use Mensch's method too of putting them in a sink of hot water. I can fit two or three in there, and I weight them down with whatever I have (usually magazines) to let them soak for a little bit.. then the fondant or bc comes right off. Also, if you have a dishwasher that the dummies will fit in (top rack) then you can do that too icon_smile.gif

If you're wanting to get lots of pics for your portfolio, ice up some dummies (fondant or bc) and use some satin ribbon around the bottom of the tiers.. secure in the back (since you're taking a pic from the front). You can also lay some silk flowers on there. Take a pic.

Then, switch ribbon, change flowers or add some piped scroll work and take another pic.

Add some different flowers and take another pic. That way you can get several looks from one base design.

ohayr639 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks HarleyDee! That's a really good idea! I am just so excited to get them!

dsilvest Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 12

You can also put the fondant covered cakes into a dishwasher. They come out really clean and undamaged.

ohayr639 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:11pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you all so much!

_Jamie_ Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 12

Or, for less damage to the styrofoam (because several trips into hot water and they start to weaken and get fuzzy) put them in a thick plastic bag and whack them on the ground. Comes off nice and clean. The fondant has to have been on there for awhile though, like hardened up really well.

greengyrl26 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:05pm
post #11 of 12

For square cakes, I do a different design on each I get 4 designs out of one dummy! Gotta be careful taking pics though, has to line up with the camera just right, or the corner from the next side starts to show. HTH. I'm working on dummies this week and hope to post pics soon!

ohayr639 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:43am
post #12 of 12

That's a good idea about each side. . . Must be very careful like you said though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%