Can't Use Meringue Powder (Egg Allergy) - Other Options??

Decorating By jennycjenkins Updated 3 Jan 2010 , 2:42am by PinkLisa

jennycjenkins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennycjenkins Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing a castle cake for a friend of mine whose daughter is allergic to eggs. I would like to make some drop flowers ahead of time, but the only time I've ever done them I've used meringue powder to help them "set up." Are there any other options??? Maybe I can make them ahead of time and freeze them so I can pick them up and stick them on the castle last?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 6

If you're wantingt to use buttercream, Indydebi's recipe crusts really well. You could probably pipe the flowers on waxed paper, let them crust and dry for a day, then pick them up and stick them on the cake, without any problems. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Fondant works really well for making flowes ahead of time too.

CakeBakerSoulShaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBakerSoulShaker Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 12:59am
post #3 of 6

For egg allergys a good hardening agent to use is tylose, it is a powder that is used in gumpaste to harden. It contains no eggproduct and hardens really well so you only need a little bit! icon_biggrin.gif

jennycjenkins Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 2:36am
post #4 of 6

Yay - thanks for the help!

jennycjenkins Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 2:40am
post #5 of 6

Ok, I just looked at the recommended recipe, and it reminded me that I didn't say she was allergic to dairy too (actually, much more allergic to milk than eggs, but both are a no-no). I guess I'll try tylose, depending on what that is...?

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 2:42am
post #6 of 6

Definitely check the label on tylose. It has allergy warnings on there that you wouldn't suspect. My son is also allergic to eggs so I use a glace but that has milk in it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%