Best Way To Make Realistic Sea Shells

Decorating By mandirombold Updated 3 Jan 2010 , 10:30pm by snowshoe1

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 18

Does anyone have an idea on the best way to make realistic sea shells for a beach themed bridal shower cake. Fondant? White Chocolate? How to mold them? What to color them with? Any help would be great!

17 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 18

I like fondant, nice texture for sea shell and Global sugar art has tons of great molds for them, super realistic. I would use luster dust to color(also Global Sugar Art)

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 18

Hmm, well...I've never actually tried it but in the "Wedding Cake Decorator's Guide" by Alan Dunn, he describes how to make your own simple molds using silicone putty.

Using the silicone putty and an actual seashell, I think it would be relatively simple to make a mold that you could use to make a seashell out of anything...chocolate, fondant, or gumpaste.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 18

I LOVE using chocolate and I LOVE doing seaside cakes! Feel free to PM me and I'll send you some pics of cakes I've done. (I can't give out my e-mail here, cc rules). I swirl the choc. with subtle colors....they really are beautiful. I even pipe my coral now using white choc. and dust it with super pearl...it's SO pretty!

Also, you can do them in white choc. and dust them with luster dusts. Those look awesome as well. I can steer you to my friend who does them just beautifully this way.

I can help with molds sources as well.

Jen icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 18

I am with Jen, chocolate is the best way to go!

Edna icon_biggrin.gif
LL

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 18

So beautiful, Edna!!!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 18

Yep - chocolate tastes the best! We made a seaside cake (in my photos) and used the 'make your own mold' product. Purchased a package of seashells from Michaels for a few dollars and made a variety of different shells. Much cheaper than buying molds.

If you do use chocolate, it works nicely to melt some cocoa butter, mix with luster dusts or other powder colors, paint the molds where desired, let set, and pour in tempered chocolate. I like this look better than painting the shells afterwards (JMO)! icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 18

Thanks fullhouse, the bride didnt wanted much color on hers, but they can be done in many different ways.
Edna icon_smile.gif

mandirombold Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 11:14pm
post #9 of 18

thanks everyone I am really bad with chocolate but I am going to get both a try, what is this make your own mold product?

snowshoe1 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 11:19pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandirombold

thanks everyone I am really bad with chocolate but I am going to get both a try, what is this make your own mold product?

I use the product from these folks: MakeYourOwnMolds.com . There are others out there but I like how easily you can apply this product with your fingertips over the item being molded, and it seems to stay pliable longer than the others I've used.

ambersweettreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambersweettreats Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 4:25am
post #11 of 18

Your sea shells are incredible. They are so beautiful. I used chocolate to make my first shells too, How did you get them so shiny??

tonedna Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 5:46am
post #12 of 18

Pearl Dust will make them shiny!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mandirombold Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 5:43pm
post #13 of 18

thank you so much for all of your answers. this website is such a great link to amazing cake designers like all of you!

mandirombold Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 5:55pm
post #14 of 18

ok one last question do you have to temper the white chocolate for the shells?

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 6:15pm
post #15 of 18

Try firstimpressionsmolds.com, they have great sea shell molds. I used them w/white choc for my cakes. I didn't temper the choc.

tonedna Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:44pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:

Merkens chocolate are pretty easy to work with.
Edna icon_smile.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 8:12pm
post #17 of 18

Good luck with your shells! Sounds like you have a plan. I have made shells out of gumpaste. I made them using molds. I used white and "flesh" colored gumpaste. Once dry, I dusted them with various shades of petal dust to make them as realistic as possible. My mom took them to work to show a bride who was getting married on the beach, and she simply could not believe they were not real shells. I look forward to seeing what you do, so please be sure to post pictures for us!

snowshoe1 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 10:30pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:

Yes - if you are using white chocolate you should temper it else it will bloom (just like dark and milk chocolate blooms). If you are using candy coating (e.g. the wilton or merkens bags found at most cake or hobby stores), you don't need to temper it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%