Questions About Display Cakes / Dummies

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 2 Jan 2010 , 9:39pm by pattycakesnj

chilz822 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 8

Happy New Year CC Family!

I have a couple questions about cake display dummies...

Fondant displays, how long do they usually last before you have to redo them? Are they indefinate? How do you get fondant to stick to the dummies, do you actually buttercream them first?

Can you use regular styrofoam or are the actual dummies more practical and suited for this?

I'm in the process of working on licensing and all that fun stuff (yayyy!) and just trying to get my ducks in a row...
Thanks in advance!

7 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 8

I use cake dummies, got them cheap from Dallas foam. I just put a little water on them and covered with fondant, no bc or anything. They worked out great. They last a long time.

Donnagardner Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 8

Keep them covered so they don't attract dust and out of sunlight and they last a pretty good while.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 8

I haven't done a dummie yet but I've seen on here that they usually use Royal Icing under the fondant, regular bc would probably spoil or break down, royal will almost keep indefinitely.

dsilvest Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 8

Nothing is needed under the fondant except a bit of water or shortening rubbed on the foam. Stay away from pink and purple fondant, they will fade very quickly even if they are kept out of the light. If you have not made faux cakes before you may want to soften the upper edge of the foam. This can be done by sanding the edge or pushing it against your countertop. I perfer the sanding. If you can buy the foam already cut rather than doing it yourself the sides will probably be straighter. Any large gouges can be repaired with a bit of royal or buttercream icing.

Jenn2179 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 8

I use a very thin layer of shortening under my fondant. Works better then water plus makes it easier to get the fondant off to redo it. I have a display that's probably 2 years old that I am taking to the bridal show next week. I like to redo mine for the bridal shows because I like to stay up with the new trends.

chilz822 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 8

Great info, thank you all so much!
Anyone have a favorite vendor for styro dummies?

pattycakesnj Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

Great info, thank you all so much!
Anyone have a favorite vendor for styro dummies?

I tried to put it in my last post but if you pm me, I will give you name of company, great prices

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%