Ka Pasta Attachment Or Motor For Manual Pasta Machine?

Decorating By pattycakesnj Updated 2 Jan 2010 , 10:54pm by pattycakesnj

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 9

I am tired of putting my gumpaste and fondant thru my manual pasta machine while cranking it with the handle. (we all know how that turns out).
So the question is, do I get a motor for my machine or do I buy the KA pasta roller attachment for my KA? It seems that the cost for either option is about the same so which would you get? I have both the KA and the manual pasta machine at my shop and both stay there so it would only be for there. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

8 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 9

If you don't need to travel with it, I would opt for the KA attachment. I have a manual that I can take to classes if needed, but I love the ease, power, and height of the KA set-up. The motors work well, and they roll the paste out closer to the work surface if that would make any difference to the way you work, but I like the "drop" that the KA offers.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 9

I love the KA attachment. I toyed with a motor for my hand crank, but I, too, like the "drop" with the KA. I think it makes the product easier to handle as it's rolled out.

Rae

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 9

I took a gumpaste flower class last year, and while we were working on something else, the instructor and her assistant used the KA attachment to roll out sheets of fondant for us for our next flower. They ZOOMED - it was amazing.

Ever since seeing that, I have been trying to justify buying the attachment for my KA. But sadly as a hobby baker, some family member is going to need a lot of fondant for me to get one...

ETA spelling correction.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 9

They are great UNTIL...they break.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 9

Donna - LOL! Donna knows the story - LOL!

KA ALL the way!!! LOVE mine! You just have to be very careful and NEVER and I mean NEVER clean it from the top rollers...only under the bottom of the rollers. It can suck a cloth or your fingers into it so fast you won't know what hit you. They are designed to break if something jams them so it doesn't break your mixer. One of my friends got her FINGER caught...not pretty...... But, I really do love mine. I do travel with mine, but someone has to have the mixer on the other end for me icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif
PS - Buy only the part you need, don't get the entire set. You can get this at Bed and Bath...around 50 some $$$$

pattycakesnj Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 9

thanks everyone, KA attachment it is then

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 9

Patty, Patty, Patty!! Why didn't you ask me? icon_cry.gif

I'll bring my KA attachment into the shop for you to test and you can try out Pam's motorized one and see which one you like better. Email me on when you'll be in.

Stephanie

pattycakesnj Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:54pm
post #9 of 9

thanks Stephanie, see you Monday. See my other post about the NY Cake Convention if you are going tomorrow or call me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%