Can't Believe How Some Ppl Can Give Their Cakes Away...

Decorating By Spills Updated 6 Jan 2010 , 9:20pm by _Jamie_

3DsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3DsCakes Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:15pm
post #31 of 69

It is tough to charge what we're worth because of the economy and people who are not educated to the time involved in our art. People think they can call 2 hours before an event and we can create miracles. Thank you to those shows that bring the arts to homes. But these show only give 6 hours or so to create master pieces which make us look bad as people don't realize prep involved. Let people know more about the time involved.
Educate!!!
Thank you,
Jeani

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:20pm
post #32 of 69

I don't think inexpensive necessarily means inferior quality.

I've found sweaters at upscale clothing stores and bought them(OMG! this is the most beautiful sweater! and the color! I've just got to have it!...I thought in my head)...Only to find the EXACT SAME SWEATERS in just above $1 store...the only difference-the freakin' name on the label! made from the same materials, from the same country...same same same.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:27pm
post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I've found sweaters at upscale clothing stores and bought them(OMG! this is the most beautiful sweater! and the color! I've just got to have it!...I thought in my head)...Only to find the EXACT SAME SWEATERS in just above $1 store...the only difference-the freakin' name on the label! made from the same materials, from the same country...same same same.

my daughter and I have learned to buy some of her clothes in the boys dept. Seriously, we took an item from the boys dept and walked it over to the ladies dept, where we had seen the exact same item .... and the ladies dept item was about $4 more. Same material, same LABEL, same everything except the price tag. (No it was not an item that had the extra sewing, i.e. "darts", in the front! icon_rolleyes.gif ). It looked like they had opened the box, put half in ladies, have in boys, and just put different price tags on them.

all4cake Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:55pm
post #34 of 69

Maybe it's lack of humidity(gotta blame something), but I think I'm taking offense to the general idea that unless you pay out the a$$ for something that it's gonna taste or look like kaka(which in and of itself doesn't make sense 'cause if you're payin' out the a$$...kaka has to be close by!)....translates to me that 'cause my cakes don't cost as much as the next person(and I ain't pointing at anyone inparticular...just any ol' person who happens to charge more for their cakes) it must either taste like crap or look like crap or both...

Surely, ya'll didn't mean that...but that is how it's sounding on my end.

Edited for grammar, I think...

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:59pm
post #35 of 69

I think it's all different for everyone. And I do believe you can get quality for less it depends on the person and what they want (hey check the men's shoe dept too). If someone is fast and can pop that cake out in no time it might be worth her while to charge less.

Some businesses even prefer it that way, how do I know? Because we, my SO and I, have a small business (not food related) and we/he undercuts everyone. Our items fly off the shelf. (the Walmart theory) He says he rather have it gone and go on to the next one than have it sit and his money is tied up. Mind you our items are EXACTLY the same thing as what other's sell and we see them sit on their product for weeks sometimes when ours are usually gone in 3 days or so. This is a side business too, and I think that makes a difference in what people charge too.

Sometimes it is true though. I think in this case if I were to go with the cheaper lady I'd ask for bride referrals and ask to see pictures and if she was good well then I'd have a decision to make.

When my sister got married there was this "older" lady who used to be a seamstress and she sewed beautifully and just needed/wanted the extra $ so she was more than reasonable on pricing. Guess who made all the bridesmaids dresses? She had work anytime she wanted and that made her happy and kept her some extra pocket $. She definitely didn't charge was she could have but it was what she wanted.

3DsCakes Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:03pm
post #36 of 69

How did this get out of hand????? I have blue ribbon cakes, they look and taste great. Most people who try to order love the look but have never tasted the cakes. Average brides want a $300. to $600. cake for $70. They come with hard luck stories just to find they went on a cruise for their honeymoon after you gave them an awesome deal. Maybe I am too soft.

3DsCakes Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:13pm
post #37 of 69

Its hard to charge in this economy. Many brides want a $300. to $600. cake for $70. It's a matter of educating the puplic of the time involved. I end up charging very low because that tends to be the budget out there. My cakes are blue ribbon and beautiful. But yes, it's like pulling teeth to get $200. for a cake, and we work hard for it....

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:18pm
post #38 of 69

I'm glad to finally see that some ppl view things the same way I do- Cheaper pricing does not mean inferior quality!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:21pm
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by candoo

Hobby??? It's kind of both. I have a job that I depend on the pay the bills... this is extra money and pays the bills when the other job falls short.

Okay, I have a day job that pays all my bills. I own a dance studio that pays for itself and enough for my husband to pay his bills. I also own my cake company. It pays for itself and during a good month pays me what I make at my day job in pure profit...WHY? Because I value my time, and abilities. It cost me a lot of money to learn the skills I have, equipment cost me a lot of money, advertising costs me a lot of money...I AM the Neiman Marcus of Cakes in my area and darn proud of it!

I don't cheat anyone at all! They get what they pay for and then some! And I certainly will not cheat myself or my family by undercharging for my product!

Sorry but you are not only hurting the cake industry in your area, but yourself and your family. What about all the cake businesses that DON'T have another option for income, their cake business is their sole source of income? You undercutting their prices hurts their business as well. At least if you were charging what they charge (and I am not talking about grocery stores or walmart) the consumer could make a decision based on what really matters...quality and customer service as opposed to just a price.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:21pm
post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambugjoebear

My base price for BC in Hicksville, USA is $2 (and I'm in the mid-high range, go figure). I would charge atleast $3.50/serving in my area (I think they'd revolt if I went above that)for that cake. So, about $427 for me.

The other women in the area start at $1.35 and $1.85 for BC....I *think* they add $1/serving for fondant.

I so wish I could charge $4.50/serv baseprice for BC... *sigh*

I must live in the same type of area in Ohio as you because around here they charge $1.25-$1.50 for tiered bc cakes and add $1.00/serv. for fondant.

I charge $2.25 for bc and $2.75 for fondant and do alright as far as orders go, but people quickly learned that "home-based" doesn't mean cheaper (I'm home-based, the other lady has a store front)......but she uses wilton fondant, I use mmf or satin ice, and her work isn't as neat and crisp as mine (even though I think mine stinks, hers is actually worse)......and so I've built up my customer base only because people went out on a limb and tried my cakes and then the price didn't matter.

People on CC think I "give away" my cakes too, but I'm actually rather pricey in these parts, but at the same time the people who are willing to pay more always expect more and those are the customers I have.

The people that want CHEAP cake, but still want quality cake.........pretty much for me anyhow, come from Cleveland where the cakes are $5-$10/serv. and then they pay me $1.00/mile to deliver lol. So in essence I'm the "cheap cake lady" for people in Cleveland but where I am I'm the " pricey cake lady"
Go figure!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:38pm
post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I have to agree. I am in rural NC, I cannot charge what someone in LA may charge. We have farmers and retail workers around here making $7.25 an hour to live off of, not 6 digits a year.

My quality is good, my flavors are wonderful, and yes I would LOVE to charge more for my cakes, but my prices are in line for my area. Now if I was only 40 miles away in Charlotte I could charge more. There are places there that charge for delivery what I do for a cake! But I am not there, I do not have an upscale million dollar bakery. So I have to start somewhere and that somewhere is in line with the other home bakers and smaller home town bakeries around me. I do still make a profit though. The newest cake in my gallery (snowflake), I charged just a little over $400 for it. A lot of work? Yes, and it was all red velvet (scratch) with cream cheese filling and buttercream iced as well as royal icing snowflakes and silver dragees. Did it cost me much, sure but I still made over half in profit.

I don't think everyone should feel offended if someone sells cheaper. You will sometimes get what you pay for granted, but I have seen very expensive cakes come out looking like kaka too.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 4:52pm
post #42 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

I think it's all different for everyone. And I do believe you can get quality for less it depends on the person and what they want (hey check the men's shoe dept too). If someone is fast and can pop that cake out in no time it might be worth her while to charge less.

Some businesses even prefer it that way, how do I know? Because we, my SO and I, have a small business (not food related) and we/he undercuts everyone. Our items fly off the shelf. (the Walmart theory) He says he rather have it gone and go on to the next one than have it sit and his money is tied up. Mind you our items are EXACTLY the same thing as what other's sell and we see them sit on their product for weeks sometimes when ours are usually gone in 3 days or so. This is a side business too, and I think that makes a difference in what people charge too.

Sometimes it is true though. I think in this case if I were to go with the cheaper lady I'd ask for bride referrals and ask to see pictures and if she was good well then I'd have a decision to make.

When my sister got married there was this "older" lady who used to be a seamstress and she sewed beautifully and just needed/wanted the extra $ so she was more than reasonable on pricing. Guess who made all the bridesmaids dresses? She had work anytime she wanted and that made her happy and kept her some extra pocket $. She definitely didn't charge was she could have but it was what she wanted.

It is totally different when dealing with retail items that sit on a shelf. Custom made to order items cannot be compared to this...it is apples & oranges. And as far as a dress goes, that too doesn't equate in my book. My mother is a seamstress and she made all the dresses for my & all of my sisters (I have 3) weddings except my wedding dress. And when she sewed for clients she charged under market value for strangers, and discounted further for friends and other family. Since you don't have to be licensed to make a garment, and go through all the hoops necessary like for food based businesses, to sew something from your home the overhead just isn't there. And as much as I love my mom, she is a horrible business woman. She is one of those that always felt sorry and bought every single sob story that darkened her door. She has failed at every business venture she has attempted due to that logic. At some point you end up shortchanging yourself right into oblivion!

My uncle owns Houston Garden Centers. He started by selling hanging plants out of the back of his truck in the 60's. This man is a ruthless business man. He has never loaned money to anyone in the family, nor given anyone in the family a discount off his products in his stores. He is a multimillionaire because he never gives an inch when it comes to a sale. But when the chips are down where the family is concerned he has been there. He has paid for every funeral of each of his siblings who have passed and his mother (my grandmother). He paid for my father's triple bypass surgery. So maybe in the business world he is looked at as a shark, but he has never let his family down when it really mattered! I want to be like him. My cousins (his daughters) have wanted for nothing, because he didn't undercut himself!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:47pm
post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

It is totally different when dealing with retail items that sit on a shelf. Custom made to order items cannot be compared to this...it is apples & oranges. And as far as a dress goes, that too doesn't equate in my book. My mother is a seamstress and she made all the dresses for my & all of my sisters (I have 3) weddings except my wedding dress. And when she sewed for clients she charged under market value for strangers, and discounted further for friends and other family. Since you don't have to be licensed to make a garment, and go through all the hoops necessary like for food based businesses, to sew something from your home the overhead just isn't there. And as much as I love my mom, she is a horrible business woman. She is one of those that always felt sorry and bought every single sob story that darkened her door. She has failed at every business venture she has attempted due to that logic. At some point you end up shortchanging yourself right into oblivion!

My uncle owns Houston Garden Centers. He started by selling hanging plants out of the back of his truck in the 60's. This man is a ruthless business man. He has never loaned money to anyone in the family, nor given anyone in the family a discount off his products in his stores. He is a multimillionaire because he never gives an inch when it comes to a sale. But when the chips are down where the family is concerned he has been there. He has paid for every funeral of each of his siblings who have passed and his mother (my grandmother). He paid for my father's triple bypass surgery. So maybe in the business world he is looked at as a shark, but he has never let his family down when it really mattered! I want to be like him. My cousins (his daughters) have wanted for nothing, because he didn't undercut himself!

As you have stated not everyone is a "hard core" business person, make all the profit you can, etc and may never want to be that way. We are all different. Different personalities, different style, different values. I think the problem arises when those that charge more feel they are being devalued by those that charge less and in a business world it could be. I mean how can "you" charge XXXX amt when Jane down the road is charging XX amt for the same quality. I understand that, but the fact is "that's business" and everyone is different and is satisfied with different profit margin. It doesn't necessarily mean they produce inferior quality in my opinion. Sometimes it does, yes, but not all the time. Just as often I have seen some try to charge too much for their items.

I read/saw somewhere where a professional cake decorator said something to the effect of "we all do this but we couldn't even afford our own cakes". So that meant to me they are selling to high end clients and not everyone has that luxury.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:04pm
post #44 of 69

First, no one is saying, cause someone charges low, that their cakes are automatically terrible. What we are saying is that you run that possiblity. Theres a reason they are so cheap. And that's just a fact. Just like it's fact a high end costing cake can taste like crap someitmes. I know. I've tasted them. But what we are saying is that is always bad to underprice yourself. I will NEVER pay to make someone a cake.

Now, as far as custom cakes go, this is an entire different business. You do not purchase a custom cake everyday, once a week or heck even once a year. You do it for those milestones, like a wedding, baby's first birthday, 21st, birthday, etc., etc., etc. You get my point. I gurantee that is someone wants a custom cake, they will pay for it, regardless of how low their budget it. They will. We ALL have things thatr we aqre willing to pay for no matter what. Some people are in to tools, some shoes. Regardless of anything, if someone wants a custom cake that bad, they will get the money to pay for it. People get the money together for what they want all the time. Whne you devalue your work, you devalue everyones. I can't see working three days on a cake and charging $250 for it. I just can't. ANd if you really need the money for income, I REALLY can't see undercharging. And some places may be cheaper then others, cause some places the cost of living is cheaper and ingredients are cheaper. But there is no where I can think of in this country, and maybe it's cause I bake from scratch and ingredients cost me a little more, that can sell the cake pictured, for that size for $250. No where. I am from California, so I know what it cost there, and I live in Virginia, not high end at all. I couldn't sell that cake here for $250 and make it worth my while.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:24pm
post #45 of 69

I have a question for you guys that say "you can't charge $x.xx in your area because people won't or can't afford to pay it".

Are you all paying a LOT less for groceries/ingredients then the rest of us? Are your utilities, gas and water a LOT less expensive then ours?

I'm not being a smarty pants here I'm just trying to understand how you can afford to charge so much less and still make a profit.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:38pm
post #46 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I have a question for you guys that say "you can't charge $x.xx in your area because people won't or can't afford to pay it".

Are you all paying a LOT less for groceries/ingredients then the rest of us? Are your utilities, gas and water a LOT less expensive then ours?

I'm not being a smarty pants here I'm just trying to understand how you can afford to charge so much less and still make a profit.

Bingo! How much is gas per gallon.... is it under $2.00-$2.50/gallon? Are eggs under $1.50-$2.00/dozen? What surprised me when I moved to Indpls is how much cheaper my utilities were, so I'm betting your rural utilities are higher than many of ours.

keflyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keflyn Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:30pm
post #47 of 69

here where I am gas is 2.39 a gallon. eggs are about 1.50. things are cheaper here.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:12pm
post #48 of 69

I don't think that the message is so much cheap cakes always = shoddy work, but that cheap cakes always = an underpaid decorator.

I live in a small town in NH... I start at $3.75/serving for party cakes (untorted and you can choose van or choc cake with van BC) and start at $5/serving for wedding cakes (torted and you can choose any flavor combo under the sun and you get a tasting and a consult and all that jazz). I only do weddings and big occasion cakes.

There is a difference in the markets too. Some make what I would call more "normal occasion" cakes... birthdays with Happy Birthday So-and-So" written on them and simpler sheet cakes... all good cakes, but not the same in marketing at all. So it's hard to say you should NEVER charge less than $4/serving for a cake because some cakes don't warrant the price. Not because they are ugly or taste like crap, but because they fill a different niche in the market. I don't make sheet cakes or normal "Happy Birthday You" cakes... I do custom cakes. So I can charge more and people will pay.

Now the cake that the OP posted... that's a very custom wedding cake. Worthy of a very custom price. Giving that cake away for $2-3/serving is, IMHO, doing the business on the whole (and the caker making it) an injustice.

Gas and eggs are about the same around here as the PP by the way... just for comparison. icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:17pm
post #49 of 69

About the same for eggs and .20 more for gas.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:29pm
post #50 of 69

Just curious....does the cake designer of the magazine photo you're using charge more than you quoted? Would she be peaved that you undercut her original price and offered it to this bride for only $600? Isn't that kind of the same thing?

Just a thought. icon_cool.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:29pm
post #51 of 69

Exactly Jeanne.

There are people in this area making $7 an hr too, they're not my target client.

When starting out in our business, I think we need to decide who our target clientele will be. Will we market to the $7 an hr people or to the people who can afford our custom cake prices.

It's important to keep in mind that if we don't value our own product nobody else will either.

I'm fairly certain that nobody is giving away their gas and eggs for a penny. We're all paying about the same thing.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:29pm
post #52 of 69

I totally agree with all4cake.

I am very rural here (and am on the verge of a price increase BTW). My power bill is about $130 in the dead of winter and the heat of summer. Less at other times. Gas is about the same. Eggs are $0.98/doz most of the time. Milk is $2.70/gallon. I get lots of things in bulk because DH works in a food distribution company. For example, my 19X14X4 much-sturdier-than-Wilton boxes are about $0.45 each...and shipped free since he just brings them home when he gets off work.

My wedding cakes start at $2.25/serving for non-torted bc cakes. Nobody orders fondant for weddings here. I will be upping that very soon and probably again later in the year.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:53pm
post #53 of 69

it's been said again and again but a lot of people do not include ALL the costs it takes to make a cake. it's not just ingredients. it's electricity to run the frig, the oven, the hot water tank, lights, the water, soap, steramine, licenses, paper for writing down orders/cake sketches, tape--gosh i could not believe how much tape and paper towels i went through when i started actually accounting for all this stuff. so, i must charge enough to cover costs as well as my time. i cannot "operate a business out of my husband's wallet" (someone, probably indydebi, shared that phrase here on cc i believe)

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:57pm
post #54 of 69

Ok jammjenks...that hay bale cake is cute x10. icon_smile.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:57pm
post #55 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I totally agree with all4cake.

I am very rural here (and am on the verge of a price increase BTW). My power bill is about $130 in the dead of winter and the heat of summer. Less at other times. Gas is about the same. Eggs are $0.98/doz most of the time. Milk is $2.70/gallon. I get lots of things in bulk because DH works in a food distribution company. For example, my 19X14X4 much-sturdier-than-Wilton boxes are about $0.45 each...and shipped free since he just brings them home when he gets off work.

My wedding cakes start at $2.25/serving for non-torted bc cakes. Nobody orders fondant for weddings here. I will be upping that very soon and probably again later in the year.

Right, and see we are literally down the rd from one another. I have learned how to save on my supplies to up my profit. Where I normally was buying 5lb bags of flour at the local grocery store I now get a 25lb bag at Sam's for what 2 of the other bags would have cost. I keep my Sams club buttercream buckets and wash them out and use them to store my flour, sugar etc that I purchase in bulk. Now I know that the bakeries buy in bulk as well so that is nothing new to you guys, but it is to a home baker as myself. There are ways to still make a decent profit off of a cake without charging more than your area will handle. I would love to be in an area that I could charge double or more than I do now. But I don't right now. I have tried to up my prices a bit and lost the sales due to it is higher than my local market. So unless I want to change my location my prices have to be in line with my competitors.

It is easier too for some people to look at a cake and say...oh you undercharged...but when it comes to pricing in your own market you know what it will handle and what it will not.

all4cake Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:00pm
post #56 of 69

I know I am higher than others around my area...I only include custom cakers when considering a price change...not walmart, not the grocery store...

My prices even though on the high side for my area are considerably lower than the nearest large city of Charlotte. I get a LOT of orders out of Charlotte but I'm not going to price my items for that area because that would exclude a lot of potential customers in my own area. With that said, cakers in Charlotte could be thinking that someone in their area is underpricing them when, in fact, their customers are choosing to go outside their area for less expensive cakes(seriously, I don't get why, 'cause they wind up paying pretty much the same thing when delivery charges are tacked on).

As a SCRATCH BAKER(like that has anything to do with anything), I don't pay more more my ingredients than one who uses mixes...just takes a bit more time to measure the stuff out.

One runs the risk of getting a shitty cake regardless of how much they paid for it or who they get it from. Any one of us(and many have posted disaster threads to prove it) can and probably have or will have something go amok with a cake.

For the record, that cake, as pictured, would cost(without that POS looking spray of sorts and that wth is that doing there band around the bottom), depending on the size chosen from the choices given, 230-367.5....basic buttercream as icing and filling basic cake flavors. That ain't the only cake/dessert/whatever that is being made....it's only a portion of getting the bills paid. I have no intention of EVER making a cake, a lone cake, that pays my monthly bills...

jammjenks Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:02pm
post #57 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

What'd you do? Check out my cakes to see if I was dishing out crap for those prices? icon_lol.gif Just kidding, of course. icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for the compliment. thumbs_up.gif

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:03pm
post #58 of 69
Quote:

Quote:

What'd you do? Check out my cakes to see if I was dishing out crap for those prices? icon_lol.gif Just kidding, of course. icon_biggrin.gif

You betcha....lol! Just kidding...that really is darling!! icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:06pm
post #59 of 69

A cake mix averages $1. A bottle of quality vanilla extract is at least $4, not to mention butter can average $3 a lb. I don't see how scratch baking is as affordable as baking from a mix.

jammjenks Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:08pm
post #60 of 69
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You betcha....lol! Just kidding...that really is darling!! icon_biggrin.gif

And the kicker...IT WAS FREE! I donated it for my DDs' school for a fundraiser. I guess that means that it was supposed to look like crap. Somebody should've told me then. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%