To Those Who Can Get Flawlessly Smooth Buttercream....

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 7:08am by dandelion56602

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 12:32am
post #61 of 79

OMG, do you really have a BC recipe that does not require sifting powder sugar? I don't have the Sugar Shack DVD. I hate inhaling powder sugar! icon_eek.gif
I'm such an old user of Wilton recipes. 2010 new changes.
Hammy

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:15am
post #62 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

i make sugarshack's bc and never, ever sift.

Ditto.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:21am
post #63 of 79

Never sift. Didnt know I was supposed to! icon_biggrin.gif I turn on the mixer and let it go on..and on.....and on...............smooth as silk.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:50am
post #64 of 79

I just made a small batch of buttercream without sifting. My recipe is almost identical to the one jeff posted. As far as I could tell there were no lumps!

The only major difference that I could see was that you use more powdered sugar when it isn't sifted. My buttercream was way more stiff than what I am used to. I had to add a little extra liquid. I guess it doesn't really matter....probably just makes a slightly larger volume of icing.

Now am I brave enough to kick the sifting habit???? *biting nails*

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:56am
post #65 of 79

I would never have made a cake if I had to sift. Sounds like a terrible time icon_sad.gif

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:59am
post #66 of 79

I heard somewhere that that "10x" on powdered sugar bags means it's been sifted 10times...??? icon_confused.gif I figured, what the hell...I'm not doing it if someone else has already done it 10 times for me! icon_biggrin.gif

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:08am
post #67 of 79

So what most of you are saying, is when it comes to powdered sugar... you really don't give a sift?

icon_lol.gif

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:16am
post #68 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthburn

So what most of you are saying, is when it comes to powdered sugar... you really don't give a sift?

icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif not a bit icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Lyns082608 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyns082608 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:19am
post #69 of 79

Jeff, I dont have a Sunbeam stand mixer, I have a KA...would you recommend using the beater instead of the paddle to get it smooth? Any ideas?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:34am
post #70 of 79

I would not use a whisk attachment---they are meant to add air. If you have a KA use the paddle attachment

Lyns082608 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyns082608 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:48am
post #71 of 79

Thanks, dandelion! I've actually never used the whisk so I wasnt sure. icon_smile.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 2:54am
post #72 of 79

Hey Jeff, so if your recipe doesn't crust, does it still have that powdered sugar "bite" to it? I'd love a shortening and butter recipe that doesn't crust up and get gritty (I do love IMBC too).

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 6:09am
post #73 of 79

mine does not get gritty ever....I recently switched from heavy cream to the coffee creamer powder in hot water(sugarshacks idea) the hot liquid I think will kill any grittiness...........just my op

Darthburn Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 3:48pm
post #74 of 79

Madge, can you elaborate on that idea then a little for us please icon_smile.gif

What ratio creamer to water, how hot your water is, and if you add it in while it's really hot?

Thank you icon_smile.gif This is actually turning out to be a really neat and informative topic for me!

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 4:09pm
post #75 of 79

Sifting sucks! I've tried it a couple of times but I never get more than 1/2 cup sifted before I just turn the PS bag upside down and dump the rest in the mixer.

I'm definitely a non-sifter.

Jeff... do you think it would be ok to add 2T of meringue powder to your recipe to help with crusting? I think I am going to try your recipe plus the meringue powder next time.

Thanks for this thread and all the advice given! It is a great thread!

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #76 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthburn

Madge, can you elaborate on that idea then a little for us please icon_smile.gif

What ratio creamer to water, how hot your water is, and if you add it in while it's really hot?

Thank you icon_smile.gif This is actually turning out to be a really neat and informative topic for me!

the ratio is 1:1 for creamer powder to water. you want your water very very hot or it wont mix right. i nuke a cup of water in my microwave for 2 min and then stir in 1 cup of creamer powder. i usually make it up then get my shortening measured out and into my mixing bowl along with the flavorings so by then it's cooled a bit but you do still want it hot. it's all in sharon's (sugarshack) buttercream dvd. hth!
cindy

Darthburn Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 7:32pm
post #77 of 79

That's awesome! Thank you so much!

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 9 Jan 2010 , 9:27pm
post #78 of 79

I made a big batch of buttercream yesterday with the powdered sugar I get from Costco. These are 7lb bags, and I don't think they say anything about pre-sifted on the bag. Anyway, I didn't sift, and my buttercream had a grainy texture.

I think this sifting/non-sifting has to do with the type of p. sugar you are buying. It went fine for me when I used the Domino 2lb bag, so obviously it has to do with the brand.

Guess I'm stuck with sifting. icon_cry.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 7:08am
post #79 of 79

I get my 7 lb bag of ps (Domino's) from Sams & never sift. So, it could be. But I have also used the 2 lb bags from Aldi's & it worked fine. I do think the ps gives it the grainy texture & you can end up w/ a bad batch of Dominos too. If all else fails use it to fill the cakes, or to ice cupcakes. In the past even though I could tell it was grainy most other people couldn't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%