Fish Cake/fondant Process

Decorating By FrostedFantasies Updated 2 Jan 2010 , 6:12pm by StaceyCakes75

FrostedFantasies Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 6

So I have to make a fish cake (a bonefish), due in three days. There are incredible cakes here that I've gotten some good ideas from, but was hoping I could run down my thought process. (I'm pretty new at this and would REALLY APPRECIATE any feedback!)

Chocolate cake >>> freezer >>>carve to fish shape >>>chocolate BC

Then a layer of gray fondant for the fish body only. I was going to use an icing tip to make the scales, then paint with vodka (wilton colors), and then luster dust.

Is this the best sequence to achieve a realistic fish look? I've painted with vodka for the wood grain effect and loved it, but not sure how much to use for the dust, if any at all.

I don't have an airbrush icon_sad.gif but am hoping I can still come up with a nice-looking cake. The bonefish itslef isn't a very colorful fish, so I guess I kind of lucked out there.

Also, thought on achieving a shiny finish? Piping gel?

Again, I really appreciate the time to read through this and post any thoughts or ideas! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
StaceyCakes75 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 6

you just described exactly what I did.

1. cave cake and frost
2. cover in gray colored fondant
3. made scales with piping tip and added fins and tail
4. used vodka and black food coloring. Just make sure your brush is not too wet when doing this.
5. Silver luster dust the entire fish. I used a lot to get it really shiny

A lot of people asked if it was made of metal. Laugh.

FrostedFantasies Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Stacy--how do you add the luster dust? Do you paint it on dry, or add vodka to it as well?
TIA!

StaceyCakes75 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 6

Get a fluffy paint brush kinda like a make up brush and just brush it on dry. It will shine up very nicely icon_smile.gif

Good luck! icon_wink.gif

Peridot Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 6

Very interesting and helpful! What is the ratio of the vodka to the black coloring?

StaceyCakes75 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 6

I don't know the exact ratio. I just use 3 or 4 drops of black and enough vodka to water it down. The more vodka you use the less intense the color. I use a small soy sauce dish like the kind you get when you go to sushi icon_smile.gif its the perfect size.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%