Due Today How Would You Finish This Cake

Decorating By auntmamie Updated 3 Jan 2010 , 3:59am by CakesbyCindi

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 25

I have completed a cake to the customer specification (IE have flowers, have it say Happy Birthday Anna, with bananas after Anna). I was given creative liberty, so what else does this cake need to finish it? I think it could use some blue somewhere, but will hold off if it'll make it too colorful or busy. The hibiscus aren't really turning up in true colors - they are fuchsia, orange and red/burgundy.

Since I've never been to Hawaii or Florida, I can't say exactly what the hibiscus need. Oh, and it's a blizzardy day in Vermont - so all the party guests will appreciate a fun, colorful cake. This is also my first 12" cake icon_smile.gif Oh, and it was $90.

Please excuse the mess in the background.
LL
LL

24 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 25

your cake looks lovely as is.. needs nothing else.. it would make it gaudy if you keep adding other colors .etc.. others might say different.. LOVELY AS IT...hth

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 25

it's finished.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 25

Put down the piping bag and step away from the cake icon_razz.gif ...it looks finished nicely to me, also!

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 25

I would not add blue... I don't see how it would compliment what you already have on there.

The only things I could think of that you might add would be leaves (but there are so many flowers on there that trying to stuff the leaves in might make it look overdone), or to take some of the flower colors and add something to the bottom border to tie the top in with the sides.

Having given you creative free reign, though... I would bet the customer would be happy with what you have done already.

- Leisel

auntmamie Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 25

It's staying as it is! I did try to add a turquoise ribbon around the base, but the stupid tape won't stick. So I gave up on that.

Now the hard part - Northwestern Vermont is in the middle of a nor'easter. I have to drive it about 40 miles in the snow, to a town that I've never been to. I am vigorously watching the weather and road reports, and will hopefully get there without a problem. My new Scion has Traction Control - lets see if it works!

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 25

Oh, dear... please be careful!

- Leisel

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 25

I hate to be the one who say something...Well I think the flowers are a little too much and sometime its better to have a few and in differ sizes, 3 is perfect and then add some leaves

You can add blue but not the blue blue but like a slate blue, you could have used a spatula to create like wave on the side of the cake and edge the peaks with the blue

Other than that you really did a nice job!!! ^-^

doofusmongerbeep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doofusmongerbeep Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 25

I think it's a beautiful cake. I love the flowers!! thumbs_up.gif

Hope you have a safe drive!

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:28pm
post #10 of 25

I think its perfect I love the border. I also have the problem of wanting to continue fiddling after its finished! Hope you drive safely.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 25

I agree with everyone else - it's done! Looks lovely and your writing is great!

Be careful and have a safe delivery.

And Doofusmongerbeep - I'm totally cracking up over your user name. icon_lol.gif I have NO idea what it means but it hit my funny bone just right!

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:32pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

Put down the piping bag and step away from the cake icon_razz.gif ...it looks finished nicely to me, also!

I totally agree. You're done! Drive safe.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:40pm
post #13 of 25

It is cute as is.

DelectabilityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectabilityCakes Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:40pm
post #14 of 25

Actually, I don't think the flowers are the problem. I think the writing is too big. If it were smaller then the words could be shifted over so that the banana isn't on the edge of the cake. thumbs_up.gif But good work and hopefully you're back safe and sound now from the delivery.

CakesbyCindi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCindi Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:40pm
post #15 of 25

I think it is beautiful. Was just home (Florida) in November and took pictures of my sister's Hibiscus that was blooming. Your flowers look spot on. Great Job! Hope you had a safe trip delivering it. I'm in MN. and we woke up to -31 degrees this morning and 3-5' snow drifts everywhere...
LL

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #16 of 25

I love your border and the side scroll work looks good, and those are the cutest bananas I seen drive safe, they'll love your cake.

loopilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopilu Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:55pm
post #17 of 25

i agree with everyone else, well done

auntmamie Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:13pm
post #18 of 25

Thank you all so much! I suffer from "it isn't good enough yet" itis, so it's great to hear that other decorators like my work!

I'm hitting the road now - back in 3 hours with a satisfaction report!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:16pm
post #19 of 25

It looks alright. Work on your writing.

auntmamie Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:21pm
post #20 of 25

I'm back - what was supposed to be a 50 mile round trip in 1.5 hours on an interstate turned into 60 miles round trip in 2.5 hours on class 2/3 roads. There was an accident halfway, and I was detoured onto a side road. In VT, most of the time, the take three right turns and you'll be back doesn't work. Especially not in the country. I was on my bluetooth headset with my mother in NY, who doesn't know how to read a map, and she was on Google Maps trying to find me a route. OMG ridiculous. I'm back home now, going to clean the kitchen, make some spaghetti, and have something alcoholic to drink. Seriously need to calm down.

Mensch - I am trying to work on my writing. Have been since 3rd grade. That's why I type emails at work instead of giving notes. LOL that's my good writing.

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:49pm
post #21 of 25

good to know you are safe home, what did the cx say about the cake?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:51pm
post #22 of 25

auntmamie, I make sure my writing icing is very smooth by adding a little corn syrup to it.
It also helps if I write faster, slow seems to give it more of a chance to wobble.

auntmamie Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:53pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

auntmamie, I make sure my writing icing is very smooth by adding a little corn syrup to it.
It also helps if I write faster, slow seems to give it more of a chance to wobble.

This icing had piping gel in it. Since I've got alot left over, I might just practice, practice, practice. Thanks for the tips!

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 12:03am
post #24 of 25

LOVE the cake, glad you got home safe!

Did the client like it???

CakesbyCindi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCindi Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 3:59am
post #25 of 25

Glad you are home safe....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%