Cake Magizines...

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 4:01am by CbyA

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:42am
post #1 of 35

Hi!

I'm looking for some recommendations for some good cake decorating magazine subscriptions. I am interested in the "America Cake Decorating" issues, and am open to anything else!

For the ACD mags, do you like?
Also, do you know where i can see a sample copy? Or know of any retailers that carry it so i can pick up a copy to try?

Same for any other mags, if you know where i can get/see a sample please let me know.

Thanks as always!

34 replies
cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:58am
post #2 of 35

One of my favorite magazines is 'Wedding Cakes ~ A Design Source'. It is published in the UK and I pick it up at Barnes & Noble. It's a little pricey but I really enjoy the magazine. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:24am
post #3 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblupe

One of my favorite magazines is 'Wedding Cakes ~ A Design Source'. It is published in the UK and I pick it up at Barnes & Noble. It's a little pricey but I really enjoy the magazine. thumbs_up.gif

I luv this magz! It's mostly fondant but it's THE best magz for cakes ever. Some of our own CC'ers have had cakes published in this one. The only bad thing is you will want the beautiful stands/separators shown on the cakes and they are mostly only available in the UK. icon_cry.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 35

Don't waste your money on ACD magazine. It will take 4 to 5 months to get your first one. It is really thin and not worth the money IMO. Then the issues come very late and few and far between. Then before you even get your first issue you will receive a letter telling you your subscription will expire soon renew now. I received 5 issues only last year and I think you are suppose to get 6. I received 3 renew your subscription dunns long before my subscription ended, but did not renew.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I luv this magz! It's mostly fondant but it's THE best magz for cakes ever. Some of our own CC'ers have had cakes published in this one. The only bad thing is you will want the beautiful stands/separators shown on the cakes and they are mostly only available in the UK. icon_cry.gif

I get this one too. I have quite a collection. Just picked up the most recent issue yesterday.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I get this one too. I have quite a collection. Just picked up the most recent issue yesterday.

I wholeheartedly agree with you all, although I am biased (being from the UK and all). I was fortunate enough to have my work published in the magazine a few months ago and I was over the moon. Another good magazine is Cake Craft and Decoration, which is available online from http://www.cake-craft.com. It is a sister publication to Wedding Cakes - A Design Source

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 35

I canceled my ACD. So not worth it. When I got my Oct-Nov-Dec issue two days before xmas, that did me in. An Oct-Nov-Dec issue should arrive at the end of September or beginning of October. I mean, we're supposed to find inspiration there for Halloween-thanksgiving-xmas, right? Well, when it comes two days before xmas the opportunities for holiday cakes are already long past. It wasn't just that issue, either. Any kind of seasonal issue arrived at the end of the season. Jan-Feb came at the end of February, for example.

I got two issues last year and paid for a full subscription. I voiced my opinions here and ACD's (loyal) supporters said, oh give them a chance, etc. I contacted ACD, but to no avail.

I have read really nothing good about ACD over the years. People always write that subscribers have to 'give them a chance'. Well, over the years it seems that they've had dozens of chances to improve, but never seem to do so.

In my experience, any company that treats its customers like this is not a serious organization. They've lost my custom, that's for sure.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 35

I am not renewing my subscription to ACD - issues never arrive on time - I'm still waiting for the postponed Oct-Nov-Dec issue! Wedding cakes design source is great. I am also anxious to get the new cake central magazine - just waiting to find out when I can subscribe since I live in Canada.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:58pm
post #9 of 35

I wholeheartedly agree with you all, although I am biased (being from the UK and all). I was fortunate enough to have my work published in the magazine a few months ago and I was over the moon. Another good magazine is Cake Craft and Decoration, which is available online from http://www.cake-craft.com. It is a sister publication to Wedding Cakes - A Design Source[/quote]

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Cakewhizz, I'm with you here!

Mensch.......ACD is cancelled here too! Like you, I was like throwing my hands up in the air when I recieved the Christmas issues long after they were needed. In fact, mine arrived Christmas week as well. thumbsdown.gif

CiNoRi Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:23pm
post #10 of 35

Wow! No ACD then! Thanks... I was just going to order it, I'm so thankful for your opinions!!! I'd much rather put that money to say the more expensive Mags from the UK!

Thanks again!!!

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:07pm
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

I canceled my ACD. So not worth it. When I got my Oct-Nov-Dec issue two days before xmas, that did me in. An Oct-Nov-Dec issue should arrive at the end of September or beginning of October. I mean, we're supposed to find inspiration there for Halloween-thanksgiving-xmas, right? Well, when it comes two days before xmas the opportunities for holiday cakes are already long past. It wasn't just that issue, either. Any kind of seasonal issue arrived at the end of the season. Jan-Feb came at the end of February, for example.

I got two issues last year and paid for a full subscription. I voiced my opinions here and ACD's (loyal) supporters said, oh give them a chance, etc. I contacted ACD, but to no avail.

I have read really nothing good about ACD over the years. People always write that subscribers have to 'give them a chance'. Well, over the years it seems that they've had dozens of chances to improve, but never seem to do so.

In my experience, any company that treats its customers like this is not a serious organization. They've lost my custom, that's for sure.

Ditto! I am fed up too, I am not renewing my subscription next year (unfortunatery my DH renew it for me ). they are always late and the magazines get thinner and thinner. the last issue it's suppose to be 3 months worth of information, I was really disappointed.

Lomikesa

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:18pm
post #12 of 35

I used to like ACD and Mailbox-news, but not anymore. I did not renew my subscribtion this year, instead I got CakeCentral magazine subsribtion.I beleive it will be really good.

YorkieMaMa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YorkieMaMa Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:24pm
post #13 of 35

I just started a new subscription to ACD and was very upset to get my first issue just the day before Christmas. I had mailed in my payment in early September. Like some of you, I called a few times to ask what was up and didn't get much help. Now I wish I didn't even bother with getting it. Seems like this might be a problem. I will still give them more of a chance though.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:46pm
post #14 of 35

I am not a fan of ACD either. I subscribed in August and did not get my first issue until a few weeks ago and was very disappointed. It's an old looking magazine, boring and not worth the money. I need ti cancel my subscription as it is not worth what I paid for it. I too gave them a chance like the ACD supporters said and I should have known better as I also had subscribed to Mail Box News and that is even worse than ACD. I canceled that after the first issue which was also several months late in getting to me.

I am looking forward to Cake Central's magazine coming out in March - hope it is what I am looking for.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:52pm
post #15 of 35

I love Wedding Cakes - a Design Source too, I keep the latest few issues intact and then, when they are about 12 months old, I go through them and cut out all of my favourite cakes, price category them and then put them in a design inspiration folder for my B&Gs - save me lugging dozens of heavy magazines around and they still get to see the best of what's out there!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:11pm
post #16 of 35

I may have to get Wedding Cakes Design Source book.

cblupe Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:15pm
post #17 of 35

I totally agree with everyone on ACD magazine. Not only that but the Mailbox News is worse. I got really confused about when my subscription was due and renewed it last January (2009) because every time I turned around there was a notice to renew in my mailbox. Well I never received a single copy of MBN for the whole year! Those are two mags that I will never pay for again.

I'm glad to see so many of you enjoy 'Wedding Cakes ~ a Design Source' too.

I haven't ordered the CC mag yet. But I guess I will; I thought it was a little pricey until I got to thinking about the UK mag and how much I pay for it!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:21pm
post #18 of 35

i have always loved mbn and acd... but am like most of you now.. will never renew again.. still waiting for my nov/dec.. issue of mbn.. i have written them .. got one reply .. and they sent me my christmas issue of acd.. i let them know that i will be ordering from cake central.. their magazine.. i told them . they needed to log on to c/c and see all the negative posts about their magazines.. yes, both magazines are lots smaller and less info.. like i said ..have always loved them.. but am giving up on them..hth... oh! they told me that my nov/dec/ issue of mbn was on the way.. and i should get it in FEB.. i wrote back.. just lol.. hope they got my message of disgust..

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:24pm
post #19 of 35
Quote:

Ditto! This magazine rocks. Full of great photos. Not really a "how to" magazine but the pictures are very inspirational, there's a fair variety, and it's just a fun magazine. I love going back through old issues to rediscover what I'd forgotten.

ACD - don't waste your money. I got a 2-year subscription and only found ONE issue that was worth anything to me. I was very disappointed.

cblupe Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:38pm
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

.. oh! they told me that my nov/dec/ issue of mbn was on the way.. and i should get it in FEB.. i wrote back.. just lol.. hope they got my message of disgust..

If MBN is on it's way, why does it take so long for it to reach you. Just what route takes that long? icon_confused.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #21 of 35

The scenic route, obviously.

When it arrives it'll probably be covered in stickers like suitcases in old movies. It'll have been in China and Tasmania, Jamaica and Buenos Aires, the North Pole and the moon.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:06pm
post #22 of 35

yes, the scenic route.. ha! i have blessed them out a couple of times this year.. told them i wouldn,t continue to write and ask them where my magazine is.. they will fall soon enough.. they know that aren,t doing right.. never was like this until lately for me.. but , now i see what all the new subscribers are going thur.. been one for 14-15 years.. going to try cake centrals magazine for the new year..

cblupe Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:07pm
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

The scenic route, obviously.

When it arrives it'll probably be covered in stickesr like suitcases in old movies. It'll have been in Chine and Tasmania, Jamaica and Buenos Aires.

Funny; maybe they have a contract with the space shuttle.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:11pm
post #24 of 35

Pretty soon I will be getting the Cake Central mag! I am hoping for the best. Since it will be full of everyone's tips, tricks and photos, it is sure to be better than any other "source" out there.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:39pm
post #25 of 35

lol i like the acd m,ag, BUT i don';t have a subscription.. i did have one a few years back, now i just get it from my local cake supply..when i see it and it's new, i get it..

i love a design source too.. i get it from barnes and noble.. i love cake pics!!

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 1:33am
post #26 of 35

Do you just buy "Wedding cakes design source" ay Barnes & Nobble? or you have to order it or how?

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 2:03am
post #27 of 35

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif My B&N doesn't carry Wedding Cakes Design Source anymore

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 3:08am
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbyA

Do you just buy "Wedding cakes design source" ay Barnes & Nobble? or you have to order it or how?

You can do either. I used to have a subscription but now I just buy it at B&N. It's cheaper if you buy at B&N 'cause the shipping from the UK makes the subscription quite a bit more per issue.

CiNoRi Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:31am
post #29 of 35

Everyone should complain to the BBB about ACD, so sad!
Anyone know if the CC mag will be in stores?

Waiting till March is gonna be rough! icon_wink.gif

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 11:35pm
post #30 of 35

I just bought the latest issue of Wedding Cakes Design Source magazine at my local Barnes & Noble today. (and I'm in love with it!) Then about an hour later, I found it at Michael's!!! It was in the wedding section though, not with the other books/magazines. So, if you can't find it at your local B&N, check Michael's!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%