Gumpaste Question

Decorating By Darthburn Updated 2 Jan 2010 , 1:52pm by peg818

Darthburn Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:36am
post #1 of 7

Ok, I'm going to do a birthday cake for a friend this week and I'd like to attempt a gumpaste bow on the top. The bow seems easy enough to do, but I have never made gumpaste. I have made pastillage, but it dries so fast and sometimes doesn't come out so easy to work with (all it takes it a little wrong on the recipe for me and blam... bad pastillage).

So I was browsing through the recipes for gumpaste and notice they are all rated 8 or less. Does anyone have an easy and reliable gumpaste recipe they can share with me?

I use MMF for my cakes, but fear it won't dry. Can I add glucose or something to it and make it dry? Cake is for Jan. 9th btw... so I have a week.

What about Sugar Paste? Same thing? Does it harden like gumpaste?

I wouldn't mind some ideas if you have them please.

Thank you!

6 replies
JanH Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 7:20am
post #2 of 7

You can mix fondant and gumpaste 50/50 to make a fondant that dries harder but not so fast as gumpaste.

Or you can add tylose to your fondant to firm it up.

Tylose vs. Gum Tragacanth:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-663145-.html

HTH

Darthburn Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 9:46am
post #3 of 7

icon_smile.gif Im going to start directing all my questions to you JanH haha! You seem to be helping me out a lot tonight. I'll just sign you up as my instructor! icon_biggrin.gif

I appreciate it very very much.

Bel_Anne Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:41am
post #4 of 7

Here's a link for making gumpaste. Which is 'modelling paste'. Tylose is very cheap to buy and you can find it on most cake decorating websites.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

LateBloomer Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 10:48am
post #5 of 7

You seem to have good links for the paste. What I would suggest is to use a pasta machine if you have one to get an even paste and hang the loops over a 'broomstick' covered with saran to dry. Good luck.

Darthburn Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 11:47am
post #6 of 7

Thank you LateBloomer... that is exactly the approach I was planning on taking. thumbs_up.gif

And thank you Bel_Anne... as soon as I get home I'm gonna watch those. Can you get Tylose at Micheal's? Cause other than that I'm stuck for cake decorating stores in Bakersfield and I'm wanting to get these done so they have plenty of drying time.

peg818 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 7

no tylose at micheals but they might carry wiltons gum tex which will do the same thing as tylose, i just find in more expensive so don't forget your coupon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%