350 Cupcakes And Going Crazy - Vent

Decorating By mazz Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 7:16pm by mazz

mazz Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:45am
post #1 of 10

I have 150 cupcakes with fondant embossed toppers - dusted in sparke plus a 7 inch cake covered in embossed fondant with shimmer dust due tomorrow and it was an experience.

The problem is I every time I make my cupcakes they shrink and the papers come off. I am baking from scratch and I am going crazy. it seems my recipies using butter at room temperture are the problem. So I went out and bought box mix that used butter to get the homemade taste. Same problem. I have never had this problem on such a massive scale.
I have made these reciepes before and even used the box mixes before.

Found a new scratch recipe for cupcakes using oil and everything was fine.

I have been working on these for two days now and I have baked a total of 350 cupcakes. Thank goodness my son and his friends are in from college they are eating all the shrinky dinks and taking some back to the dorm.

Now my problem is how do you secure a cake topper on top of a fondant cake? I know I need to dowel it to support the ceramic topper on top of the cake but should I secure it with buttercream?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for listening.

9 replies
aej6 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:01am
post #2 of 10

I'm sorry that I do not have any help to offer....just wanted to say WOW you are working your behind off!! Hang in there!!!

FromScratch Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:04am
post #3 of 10

You can use a little smear of BC, but if they aren't going to move the cake after you set it up... just supporting it should be fine.

It took me a while ti find a good vanilla cupcake recipe... I feel your pain. May this be over soon and you start relaxing for a bit.

sugarandslice Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:08am
post #4 of 10

This won't help you for this time, but if you'd like a great fool-proof cupcake recipe (no shrinkage, no oil) then PM me and I'll send it to you. It's easy, delicious and works EVERY time.

I also had major shrinkage issues with scratch wasc - all the papers came off - so I know how it feels.

icon_biggrin.gif

mazz Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:19am
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the support. I spent a small fortune to make these cupcakes and since it is for a wedding it had to be perfect so I just kept going. To top it off I almost ran out of Blue Fondant. I was able to make 153 toppers and I needed 150. I was hoping to make 160 for safety sake.

For the topper I will use the buttercream - luckely the topper is of a bride and groom skiing and the buttercream could look like snow.

I will post pics tomorrow after I deliver and set it up if anyone is interested.

Thanks.

mazz Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:23am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandslice

This won't help you for this time, but if you'd like a great fool-proof cupcake recipe (no shrinkage, no oil) then PM me and I'll send it to you. It's easy, delicious and works EVERY time.

I also had major shrinkage issues with scratch wasc - all the papers came off - so I know how it feels.

icon_biggrin.gif

That was my problem the papers just fell off. I thought well I will just cover the whole cupcake in fondant and then I saw how small they shrunk.
Just have to laugh about it now.

Anyone want some cupcakes? HA HA

mazz Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 10

I posted pics of the Wedding Cake and Cupcakes that I had so many problems with.

I was told by the brides mother that she loved it. Also I posted a pic of the grooms cake I made - Ultimate Frisbee.

Check them out.

Thanks.

sugarandslice Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 10

I'm so glad it all worked out for you in the end. Your display looks great. I'm about to do my first wedding, and it's cupcakes, this Saturday. I only hope mine turn out as good as yours.

Kitagrl Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 10

Wow your tops are like perfectly even and gorgeous! Nice work!

What brand of papers did you use? The Wilton ones usually give me problems...I find the ones that come in a plastic sleeve work better as they are more "cup shaped" and tend to cling to the cake better. Also beware of overbaking or they will pull away, too.

All's well that ends well!

mazz Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you all for the positive feedback.

Kitagrl -I used Bakers Paper Liners the that came in a cleat package. I usually use the ones that come on the clear up but no one had them. I didn't even think of the liners.
As for over baking all the cupcakes tasted great so that didn't seem to be the case.

Sugarandslice - Good Luck on your Cupcakes I am sure all will go well. Just do not put too much icing under the fondant or it will squish out when you round the fondant tops.

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%