Will You Share Your Best Chocolate Sugar Cookie Dough?

Baking By aej6 Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 3:23am by Zamode

aej6 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:14am
post #1 of 15

I've tried 2 recipes tonight and have not cared for either one....NFSC I love but when I did it as chocolate it did not come out well.,...not sure why but it tastes bland....... The other one was from the Joy of Baking...didn't care for that either as it called for coffee and that, I thought, gave a bad after taste.

So I would love to hear from people here who have such great amounts of experience and knowledge....would you share your best chocolate sugar cookie recipe? Any tips also on chilling, rolling, cutting...?

Also, how can you tell when they are done??? I did not over bake mine but it was a challenge to figure out when they were done!

~~I am experimenting now as I want to make cookie bouquets for Valentine's for a few friends as they've asked for something special~~

Thanks so much for any help!

14 replies
UpAt2am Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:33am
post #2 of 15

This is the best chocolate sugar cookie recipe i've found. I usually wrap this batter around a caramel kiss, or a mini peanut butter cup and bake them...to die for! But the batter alone tastes great too. You can add 1/3 cup more of cocoa if it's not chocolatey enough!
Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Directions
1.Beat butter until creamy. Gradually beat in white sugar and brown sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating well. Cover and chill 1/2 hour.
2.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
3.Place on parchment lined cookie sheets.
4.Bake for 7-8 minutes in the preheated oven. Let cool for 3 to 4 minutes on the baking sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes @ 50 cookies

aej6 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:38am
post #3 of 15

Thank you UpAt2am!!!
Can you tell me...does the dough spread?
I am looking to use cookie cutters and am hoping for something that will NOT spread and will keep the strong shape of the cutter.

UpAt2am Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:42am
post #4 of 15

this dough barely spreads for me and that's with the candy in the middle of it, so dough alone should be fine. maybe chill it more than 1/2 hour...say 2 hours instead and see if that helps? i've never used cookie cutters with it but i'm going to try next time icon_smile.gif

frankdiabetes Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:57am
post #5 of 15

This is my favorite chocolate sugar cookie dough to use...I believe it's called "Brownie Roll-out Cookies":

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup lightly salted butter (I use 1 stick salted, 1 stick unsalted)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup dutch process cocoa (I use Valrhona or Penzeys)

Sift together flour, salt and baking powder.

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs, vanilla, and cocoa powder. Mix in flour/baking powder/salt mixture.

Wrap and chill until firm. Roll (I roll to 3/8"), cut and bake cookies at 325 for 15 to 20 minutes. It's better to slightly underbake them than to overbake them.

I'm not a chocolate fan at all, but everybody else seems to really enjoy these. The dough handles great, and I get no spreading with this recipe, even though I usually tend to have bad luck with spreading with most other recipes.

frankdiabetes Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:59am
post #6 of 15

Ooh, also, I judge doneness by touching the edge of the cookies very gently when the minimum baking time is up. The edges should be slightly firm but the centers will be quite soft. Leave them on the hot sheet for a few minutes when you take them out and they'll firm up to be just right: nice and soft. And you should smell the chocolate when they start to be close to done.

I love using chocolate cookies for decorating because the dark dough color always makes the icing colors stand out. Good luck!

aej6 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:16am
post #7 of 15

Thank you Frank for the recipe and the hints/ideas on when they are done! Getting excited to try this again tomorrow!

andpotts Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:55am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aej6

would you share your best chocolate sugar cookie recipe? Any tips also on chilling, rolling, cutting...?

Also, how can you tell when they are done??? I did not over bake mine but it was a challenge to figure out when they were done!

My favorite Recipe is a variation of the Dark Chocolate Rolled Sugar Cookies from the cookie craft book (good cookie book BTW) they taste like a brownie and don't spread.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6959/dark-chocolate-rolled-sugar-cookies

To be honest I use to hate doing cookies, they were such a bother, never seemed to turn out just right, etc, well I have learned alot and here are some tips from me. Everyone else can chime in too, but IMO these are the major things,
You have to use a recipe that has little to no spreading, I use the NFSC recipe (no fail sugar cookies)
You have to roll your dough evenly, this makes them bake evenly and maintain their shape. (I use a Doboard, I swear it changed my cookie making life, it is expensive, but there are other options, rolling pin rings, dowel rods, pastry sticks, they all have the same intent. But I LOVE the Doboard, perfect dough every single time and it's so simple!)
You must bake on parchment paper, you get nicely tanned bottoms and no sticking.

The perfect method that works for me and makes my cookie making so easy now, I do not chill first and NFSC come out great for me everytime, the recipe says to chill the dough and then carry on w/ rolling etc, but just wanted to share how I roll and chill. It works like a charm (I learned most everything I know here!)

Working with chilled dough (rolling it) can be quite a pain. Doing it this way you never have to add extra flour to your dough to avoid sticking, therefore your cookies don't come out tough and you're rolling soft dough so it's much easier.

Make my NFSC dough in the KA (or whatever mixer you have)

Take a large handfull ball of dough and roll it out between 2 sheets of parchment paper on my doboard (or whatever method you have to get it even), move slab to my refrigerator to chill.

Repeat until all dough is rolled out between sheets of parchment, (I'll usually have a stack of about 8 sheets of rolled dough from 1 batch)

By the time I'm done rolling the last sheet the first is ready to come out, perfectly chilled, ready to cut and bake.

Cut and place on parchment covered cookie sheets

If the cutting takes a little longer I just pop the sheet with cut outs back in the frige until I'm ready to put them in the oven, no spreading, no problem!

Just make sure you rotate your sheets so you are putting your next set on cooled cookie sheets

**I do my sheet rotation IndyDebi style icon_smile.gif (she explains far better) but, 1 sheet in on the bottom rack, goes for half the baking time, move to top rack, second sheet onbottom, half time goes by take out finished top sheet, bottom sheet moves to top, new sheet onto bottom rack and on and on. I time to the low end of the spectrum, unless they are bigger cookies, they finish baking on the sheets out of the oven. Just depends on the cookie, I don't know how to explain how I really do this part.

Good Luck, I LOVE COOKIES!!!!

aej6 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:43am
post #9 of 15

Wow Andpotts, thanks!

You mention that I should use NFSC....that's great, I really like that.

but whne it comes to chocolate......You also reference the Dark Chocolate Rolled Sugar Cookie recipe....I'm assuming you mean that that can be used also, correct? Tired and hoping I read your post correctly!

Thanks for all the input!

andpotts Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:46am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aej6

Wow Andpotts, thanks!

You mention that I should use NFSC....that's great, I really like that.

but whne it comes to chocolate......You also reference the Dark Chocolate Rolled Sugar Cookie recipe....I'm assuming you mean that that can be used also, correct? Tired and hoping I read your post correctly!

Thanks for all the input!

Oh yes I use both the NFSC & Dark Chocolate actually all rolled cookies in the same process, I just typed out those instruction saying NFSC because that's what I use the most thumbs_up.gif

pattycakes55d Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 7:41am
post #11 of 15

I was thinking of the same question as you. I've never really baked chocolate cookies before so it'll be a new experience.

One tip that I got from Indydebi is that she recuts her cookies when they first come out of the oven....yes. The cookie has a nice crisp, smooth look to it. You can go to her photos and see a couple of pics, one that was not cut was the flowers and the other was a sports jersey that was recut.

Let me know what recipe you like the best and we can compare. Any other cookie recipe suggestions?

cylstrial Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:18pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakes55d

I was thinking of the same question as you. I've never really baked chocolate cookies before so it'll be a new experience.

One tip that I got from Indydebi is that she recuts her cookies when they first come out of the oven....yes. The cookie has a nice crisp, smooth look to it. You can go to her photos and see a couple of pics, one that was not cut was the flowers and the other was a sports jersey that was recut.

Let me know what recipe you like the best and we can compare. Any other cookie recipe suggestions?

I didn't know that she re-cuts her cookies! That's a good idea! Thanks for sharing her tips and tricks! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:24pm
post #13 of 15

Okay I'm jumping right in here with a question (having not yet read the thread) but have any of you noticed that the chocolate rolled cookie dough should NOT be chilled or it gets too crumbly to work with? I ask because part of what prevents spreading of my cookies is chilling them. (When I don't chill them they spread like mad and that's not the chocolate recipe.) icon_rolleyes.gif Any thoughts?

SpicyBubbles Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 7:08pm
post #14 of 15

I use the chocolate cookie recipe from Cookie Craft; I chill the dough and have no trouble with it spreading or crumbling or anything. In fact, I've frozen the dough and had no problems working with it after a few months in the freezer.

Zamode Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:23am
post #15 of 15

I tried these the other day, they were very good http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6959/dark-chocolate-rolled-sugar-cookies Use the Dutched cocoa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%