Structural Issues

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 2 Jan 2010 , 2:31am by Doug

cakesrock Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:41am
post #1 of 3

Not exactly a complete disaster, but serious issues all the same. I was attempting a 3-D tall boot but made some fatal errors. I stacked 3- 6 " rounds on a loaf. I think my errors were: 1) using red velvet for starts 2) stacking too high and heavy without a strong enough base and 3) I put a center dowel in 3 levels, decided to add a 4th and didn't remove it, but added another centre dowel.... I was going to use the gumpaste/fondant heel as support but the cake didn't stand that long. The boot is supposed to be much sleeker and taller. Maybe I was taking on a bit too much.
This was my b-day cake and I dont' like it one bit. It's yummy red velvet with cream cheese so I'll eat it at home with the family. But now I plan to make a flat carved boot for my public cake (we're required to bring our own b-day cakes to work and of course, they expect a lot of me!)
I really want to know where I went wrong and how I could fix it in the future, as I love doing 3-D cakes. Any advice would be appreciated, but also wondering....Doug, are you out there?? icon_smile.gif
LL

2 replies
bettinashoe Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 2:01am
post #2 of 3

I'm not Doug, but I'll offer my take on this cake. I only see one real issue with the boot and it is very correctable. If you take off the heel and carve up a little so the sole of the boot is not straight (carve off about high as the heel itself will extend down) I think you will have it made. Other than that, especially for your first try at it, it's just not bad!

Doug Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 2:31am
post #3 of 3

how I've answered this once before:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-647166-boot.html

when stacking internal support is necessary and best to follow same advice as for stacked tier cakes -- board every 4"

after all regardless of shape, the product is still a set of stacked tiers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%