Consistent Cookie Size?

Baking By GHOST_USER_NAME Updated 2 Jan 2010 , 4:12pm by taniabanana

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 9

Hello

Could someone please advise the best way to keep drop cookies consistent in size? I find that when I make them, they spread out on the baking sheet and become very thin and crispy where as I'd rather them be smaller in diameter, thicker and chewy. Is there anything that you can put on the tray to stop them spreading and hold the shape? (I'm thinking like a metal ring?)

Thank you in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
prterrell Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 9

The recipe you are making is apparently for a thin and crispy cookie. You'll need a different recipe if you want to make chewy cookies. Alton Brown's chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe is a very good one.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-chewy-recipe/index.html

taniabanana Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 9

The recipe will make the most difference, but you could also try using a different baking tray (I swear by my anodised ones from Silverwood a UK company available from Lakelands) I also use a Silpat which helps. Make sure your oven is the correct temperature by using an independent thermometer not just what the ovens stat is saying. Baking is a science, like chemistry, just an extra bit of butter will pull things out of balance!
HTH!

Joyfull4444 Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 9

Maybe your problem is too warm dough? Try putting your filled baking sheet in the fridge for an hour or two before baking, that usually helps the spreading problem.

Check out the following cookie baking links too. Very helpful..

http://www.cookies-in-motion.com/Cookie-Problems.html#q4

http://baking.about.com/od/cookies/a/allabout.htm

andpotts Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 9

Parchment Paper! The recipe too of course, but I only bake on Parchment paper and it helps keep you cookies consistant and bake evenly. Good luck! Andrea

dsilbern Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 9

I used to have this problem too. Use all the great suggestions on this thread so far - they are dead on. And use a scoop for super consistent cookie size and exact yield from recipes. My cookies used to start out a normal size and gradually get bigger and BIGGER until I started using the scoop.

indydebi Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 9

A butter/margarine cookie recipe will cause cookies to spread more than a shortening cookie recipe. Also a baking powder recipe will cause them to rise more. (shortening .... baking powder .... think "baking powder biscuits" and how tall they rise and how they DON'T spread.)

Parchment paper, to me, is a must.
GOOD baking sheets. Buy the half sheet pans at Sam's.
Use cookie scoop for consistency in size.

And my biggie .... until it looks/feels right. If your dough seems sticky, then you probably need to add more flour. Otherwise it's too "wet" and it will spread too much.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

The recipe you are making is apparently for a thin and crispy cookie. You'll need a different recipe if you want to make chewy cookies. Alton Brown's chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe is a very good one.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-chewy-recipe/index.html




Thank you for the link, I'm going to print it off and give them a go icon_smile.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by taniabanana

The recipe will make the most difference, but you could also try using a different baking tray (I swear by my anodised ones from Silverwood a UK company available from Lakelands) I also use a Silpat which helps. Make sure your oven is the correct temperature by using an independent thermometer not just what the ovens stat is saying. Baking is a science, like chemistry, just an extra bit of butter will pull things out of balance!
HTH!




I loooove Lakeland icon_smile.gif Tend to spend a fortune on their site! I think the ones that you are describing are on offer at the moment (http://www.lakeland.co.uk/gourmet-baking-sheet/F/C/cooking-baking/C/cooking-baking-baking/product/12888/pgs/100)? There are a few sorts, would you mind telling me which one you use?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfull4444

Maybe your problem is too warm dough? Try putting your filled baking sheet in the fridge for an hour or two before baking, that usually helps the spreading problem.

Check out the following cookie baking links too. Very helpful..

http://www.cookies-in-motion.com/Cookie-Problems.html#q4

http://baking.about.com/od/cookies/a/allabout.htm




Again, thank you for the links! I'm going to have a good read through as there is lots of good info!


Quote:
Originally Posted by andpotts

Parchment Paper! The recipe too of course, but I only bake on Parchment paper and it helps keep you cookies consistant and bake evenly. Good luck! Andrea




I use parchment already, I like that it makes cleaning up easier!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilbern

I used to have this problem too. Use all the great suggestions on this thread so far - they are dead on. And use a scoop for super consistent cookie size and exact yield from recipes. My cookies used to start out a normal size and gradually get bigger and BIGGER until I started using the scoop.




I've never seen a cookie scoop before, I assume a icecream scoop would do?


Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

A butter/margarine cookie recipe will cause cookies to spread more than a shortening cookie recipe. Also a baking powder recipe will cause them to rise more. (shortening .... baking powder .... think "baking powder biscuits" and how tall they rise and how they DON'T spread.)

Parchment paper, to me, is a must.
GOOD baking sheets. Buy the half sheet pans at Sam's.
Use cookie scoop for consistency in size.

And my biggie .... until it looks/feels right. If your dough seems sticky, then you probably need to add more flour. Otherwise it's too "wet" and it will spread too much.




Thanks for your advice! icon_smile.gif

taniabanana Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 9

Yes they are very similar to the ones i use ( I had Silverwood make me some bespoke, as I have a large commercial oven) Great quality and they never warp. That's a great price at Lakelands, I'd snap them up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%